2 IDs

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I have two strange things in my tank that are too small or dark to photo:

1) Looks much like a spider web stretching between the rock, a half inch by two inches but not cross-hatch like the classic spider web. The web is more horizontal lines.

2) These things look like little white pine trees and can grow down or up. See drawing below. They grow in groups usually (but not always) in the shadows and are no more than a quarter inch in length. I've had aiptasia and they looked like little anemones but these are markedly different. Seems like nothing will eat them.

HairyThings_800x566.jpg

The pine tree dealies sound like they could be feather dusters possibly but really cant tell without a pic.

The spider webs are most likely from vermented(sp?)snails.They release a mucus web to catch particles of food.
As for the white pines,I have no idea what they are,but my foxface loves em.

1)Vermetid snails-Small sessile snails that live in a hard tube.They through out a weblike line to catch food particles.Harmless unless it irritates corals,keeping them from opening.

or

comjelly(ctenophores)-they also throw out a cobweb like string but more fine than vermetid snail.The web looks like a very fine string that branches off like feathers.Sometimes you can see a jellylike mass were the web is coming from.Harmless and generally die-off in time.

2)Formaliniferans-sticky little branches to grab micro-foods,also harmless.

Click on ''Site Map'' then scroll down to ''Hitchhikers:Odds and Ends''.See if your drawing matches formaliniferans.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/

Back