10 Gal Sump

Newtpond

Reefing newb
Hey, so i know that building a 10 gal sump for my 10 gal tank is completely unnecessary but I'm wanting to do it anyway for the experience of it so i know how they work and such. I will also be using it when i upgrade my 10 gal show tank to a 30 or 40. So my question is is if anyone has experience building an overflow box similar to a "live reef" u bend style syphon overflow box? I have been told that the "live reef" boxes are far superior, especially the ones with a "U" bend syphon tube. Does anyone know if they automatically shut off if the return pump cuts out for ay reason (Power outages etc) ? I do not want to drill into my tank as it is glass and is already established. Im sure the fish wouldn't be too happy with me if i drill holes in their home.

Here is the style i am looking to build, of course it will need to be smaller since i only have a 10 gal:

3923623.jpg

Let me know if anyone can help!

thanks in advance

The level in your DT will drop below the overflow and the flow will stop. Don't forget to drill a hole in the return line just below the waters surface to break the siphon or it could flow back to your sump

Back