Which reef suplements?

If you dont test for it dont add it. I think the worse thing you can do is put something in your tank that you dont know if you need or not. IMO follow the K.I.S.S. principle. Do your water changes with a good quality reef salt, dont over feed and use ro water. Unless you are going sps then thats it. :D

if you want a buffer go to bulkreefsupply.com and get their two part starter kit it comes with enough crap to make 3 gal or cal and alk and about a gallon and a half of mag. and it is only around 40 bucks. a lot cheaper than buying those other additives in the long run.

If you dont test for it dont add it. I think the worse thing you can do is put something in your tank that you dont know if you need or not. IMO follow the K.I.S.S. principle. Do your water changes with a good quality reef salt, dont over feed and use ro water. Unless you are going sps then thats it. :D

So you're saying LPS doesn't need calcium supplements? I am buying a test kit for calcium and alkalinity, I just thought while I am at it I might order a ph buffer or something since I'm already spending $7.99 flat rate on shipping and most of this stuff I can't buy locally. I have just been adding the minimum recommend level of "liquid reef" which shouldn't hurt anything since it has alkaline up stuff in it also until I get my test kit since I can't get one at the store here in town.

Daugherty that looks like a good option for me :D in the long run, I'll probably do that later though since I need to get these test kits first.

Main question though, out of the things on fosterandsmithaquatics.com is there anything else I should get? Again I am already ordering several other things such as medication and test kits so I am set on buying from them this time around,,

It's not that you don't have things in your tank using calcium or magnesium, etc... It's just that your salt mix contains the proper levels of those elements and by doing your water changes, you are already metering the supply of trace elements. If you are finding that those levels are a bit low in a tank that only has LPS and softies, I would first look at changing salt before starting to supplement. An SPS dominated tank will use the trace elements quicker than you replace them with water changes, but a lightly stocked and/or LPS tank should be fine without dosing. Better yet, by the time you have enough LPS stocked in a tank that you need to dose, you will know what and when you need to dose to keep everything happy. It is common for a new reefer to want to dump a bunch of things into the tank, believing that if you do, your tank will be in some way better or more healthy than others. I know I did at first. I heard that others didn't dose and I ran into a guy at a BAD LFS that convinced me that with certain potions my tank would be a super tank. Bottom line is that you can do more damage than good by dosing and you should only do it when you have a specific reason.
So you're saying LPS doesn't need calcium supplements? I am buying a test kit for calcium and alkalinity, I just thought while I am at it I might order a ph buffer or something since I'm already spending $7.99 flat rate on shipping and most of this stuff I can't buy locally. I have just been adding the minimum recommend level of "liquid reef" which shouldn't hurt anything since it has alkaline up stuff in it also until I get my test kit since I can't get one at the store here in town.

Daugherty that looks like a good option for me :D in the long run, I'll probably do that later though since I need to get these test kits first.

Main question though, out of the things on fosterandsmithaquatics.com is there anything else I should get? Again I am already ordering several other things such as medication and test kits so I am set on buying from them this time around,,

Yeah I get that, it's just that, like I said I can't get any of this stuff in town. I wasn't saying I was necessarily going to add the reef buffers, but once I get my test kit I will know what my levels are, and that way maybe now, maybe in the future who knows whenever I end of needing them, maybe when I decide to add SPS... I will have them and not have to order them again. So that's what I am really asking is what are some good things to have in case my ph drops, or you know whatever, I can't run to the store and get these things.

You are a long ways away from needing any of these things. It's like buying a new set of tires and then buying a new set of tires in case you should need a new tire some day. Even if you start stocking SPS, it will take quite a bit of coral before you start needing to dose your tank. If there's ever an "emergency" situation where you have an abnormally low level, it will suggest a problem that will need to be addressed differently than just adding supplements. You already have an idea of the types of things that you could dose, but there's no way to say just yet what you may or may not need right now. My suggestion would be to build your tank and take it slow, educating yourself about the needs of each coral you buy as you buy them. You will learn along the way what things you may want to dose for, and we will help you here as things come up, but you are premature at this point.

absolutely! The test kits are the only thing that can really tell you what you need. So start with them, get dialed in on a salt that you like, and then spend the money you will be saving by not buying supplements right now on some new coral :) :) :) :) :)

The candy cane won't really benefit from liquid coral food -- it's not a planktonic feeder. Really, lighting is all it will need. You can help it grow faster by feeding it meaty foods at night when it has its feeding tentacles extended. Candy canes will greedily take mysis, krill and chunks of food like that.

Sorry I went to sleep but they have you covered. I personally like reef crystals for my tanks. It works for me.

Oh I wasn't saying liquid foods, I want talking about calcium suplements and stuff. Yeah I've been feeding it mysis at night.

Back