What to use.

Humuhumununu

Reefing newb
Hey everyone. Im currently going to install a new, larger, 125 gallon tank, but I don't know which RODI unit, Automatic feeder, and salt are the best. Do you guys have any favorites.

+1 OceanCrazy

If you do want to use an automatic feeder, just put one portion of food in at a time. That way if it dumps the whole thing on accident, it wont be a big deal. But then you have to refill it daily.

But i also suggest relying more on a quality frozen food diet for your fish, its much healthier

+1 OceanCrazy

If you do want to use an automatic feeder, just put one portion of food in at a time. That way if it dumps the whole thing on accident, it wont be a big deal. But then you have to refill it daily.

But i also suggest relying more on a quality frozen food diet for your fish, its much healthier

What is the point of using an automatic feeder if you only put one portion in at a time? You might as well just put the food in the tank instead.

I don't know of anyone that uses an automatic feeder. Most people feed their fish once a day or every other day. It takes a few seconds to feed the fish. Automatic feeders can easily dump a lot more than they are supposed to and can ruin the water quality. They aren't very reliable. And like Hannah said, they use flakes and pellets which aren't as good for your fish or water as frozen foods are.

I was planning on possibly using one this year to feed my fish earlier in the day before I got home from class. If I dont feed twice a day, the chromis start to go after each other.

I already established this that Automatic feeders weren't the best route to go. The only reason I asked about that was becasue since it is summer , I will go on vacation for a week at a time at some point, but all my friends and people I trust to actually come in my house once Im away don't know the first thing about fish. In fact, half of them don't even have pets to begin with. Do you guys have any recommendations for an RODI unit?

There are lots of things that you can do to prepare them for taking care of your fish tank.
1. Make out premeasured food things, and make them a little less than you would normally feed that way they cant overfeed.
2. Have them come over and practice. Most people will want to come over and see the tank anyways.
3. Make good lists and dont add anything new to the routine the month before you leave.

Back