Water flow Question

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I've got a 90g tank and I'm starting to become concerned about my flow. Here's what I've got right now. (I feel like I need to add at least 1 or 2 more koralias)

1) Koralia 3 (800gph)
1) Seio M820 (820gph)
1) Mag 9.5 (approx 800 w/headloss)

Cleaning crew astrea snails and hermit crabs (all very small), 4 legged starfish (He tries), and a big ass bristle worm.

I've got the koralia in the left corner pointing down toward the middle of the tank. I've got the Seio in the right corner of the tank pointing directly across the back wall. My overflow box is directly above the Seio. My return pipe from the sump is near the middle of the tank and points straight down, I have the gate valve "wide open".

I'm not running a skimmer at this point, I'm giving the ATS (Santa Monica) a try first. It seems to be working well, and my parameters are in line.

BUT, I have very small particles of "stuff" aimlessly floating around my tank, I've read that you want the flow in the tank to be random, but I want this stuff to go to the overflow box (quickly). You can only see it when the MH are on. I think it may just be debris from the LR that I purchased... I did a 40g water change between yesterday and today, and the stuff is still floating around. Is this normal? Does everyone have this and I've just never noticed?

I also noticed today, that I had very small pieces of algae (they look like V's) on the glass, I assumed that this is farily normal, and I removed them with my magnet float.

The fish seem happy, all of my frags and such are also completely open. I have been running my lights a little long, so I'll turn the MH's off early and see if that changes anything..

I'm feeding mysis, and I'm feeding sparingly. By the time I get back around to the front of the tank, the fish are basically done eating, but they're not starving.

Trying to give as much info as possible...Any thoughts.

Filter sock?
Maybe point both power heads toward the overflow box?

Attachments

• FTS.webp
    FTS.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Do I use a bag of carbon? Please explain. I don't know about this yet. Where in the sump do I put it?

BUT, I have very small particles of "stuff" aimlessly floating around my tank, I've read that you want the flow in the tank to be random, but I want this stuff to go to the overflow box (quickly). You can only see it when the MH are on. I think it may just be debris from the LR that I purchased... I did a 40g water change between yesterday and today, and the stuff is still floating around. Is this normal? Does everyone have this and I've just never noticed?[\quote]

Does it look like some dust that is floating in the top of the tank? If you look real cclose does it look like little bitty bubbles? Does it look like there is a slight film over the water? Or is this just basically some misc stuff that is everywhere in the tank not on the surface?

No, it's not microubbles..It looks like dust and miscellaneous stuff. No film over the water. It's just everywhere in the tank, if I move power heads and I can really kick it up.

I think you need about twice as much flow as what you've got. For my 90 gallon tank, I am using four Koralia 3s and a Mag as my return pump.

My LFS only had the Koralia 1's and 4's so I've gotta wait until they get the 3's in. Should only be a few days. At this point I just keep moving powerheads around.. Do you generally want the flow going upward, downward or staright out? It seems like if you point it down the stuff will end up settling on the floor?

No, it's not microubbles..It looks like dust and miscellaneous stuff. No film over the water. It's just everywhere in the tank, if I move power heads and I can really kick it up.

I'm with Biff you just need some more mixing then and get that stuff filtered out. Also I don't think it's possible to have the water be perfectly crystal clear with nothing in it. MHs also really show everything.

Whats the rule of thumb on flow anyone? Isn't it 10Xs tank size per hour or something like that?

As Yote would say-you can't ever have enough flow.I also like the idea of having only two pumps versus the four I have now.I'm running out of outlets.

Back