Water Changes

For drainage, I ran a PVC drain pipe in the back of my tank that goes thru the wall to a floor drain in another part of the basement. I start a syphon tube and stick it in the pipe. Pretty simple

For filling, I use a 55 gal tank with a ATO from my ro unit. It has a heater and two powerheads running at all times. I mix salt in this, and then it pumps to my tank in another PVC line I ran to the back of my tank.

So far I have been mixing water in totes and pouring it in after I remove some of the water from the tank. We used the first change of water in the driveway to help melt the pile of snow that was still there. Our drive is gravel so we hope that the salt water will help keep the grass out of the drive!

This has been my favorite part thus far. Making the water changes as easy as possible. I only need a bucket to carry the water away.

To add salt water, I have a 13 gallon trash can under the display tank that has water fed in from an RO filter tank. Its got a little float valve to cut it off when full. The trash can has a little pump and heater in it that run all the time. The pump feeds a pvc line that T's off to two lines so I never have to mess with the lines or pump. The first line is usually open to allow the water to circulate. The second can be opened to allow water to pump out to the sump sitting right next to the trash can. I just add scoops of salt to the can.

To pull water out, the main tank has a pvc line with a valve that when opened gravity feeds the water out. So I rarely need to put my hands in there except when dealing out justice or removing some bubble algae.

For top offs I will be adding a T to the RO water line so that one line feeds the sump with a float valve and the other feeds the trash can.

Last edited:
Back