Water Changes

I change at least 10% once a week.Some will do more,some less.But 10% once a week has worked for me since I got into salt water.
To get the water out,just get yourself one of those litle syphon type gravel vacs.For a small tank you just need a small syphon,and there pretty cheap at wal-mart.

The general rule I hear the most is 10% weekly or 25% monthly.Every system is different so you wil find out what works best for you.I do 10% weekly which is about 5-6 gallons a week in my 75 gallon.I use a 1/2'' clear vinyl hose about 3 feet long.I put it in the tank and fill it up with water,hold my finger over the drain end while keeping the other end under water and let my finger off and gravity drains the water into a bucket.Man,I hope that makes some sense.I now have an auto-top off so I don't have to worry about doing physical labor for evaporation and water changes anymore....me so lazy.

I've seen people do it where they put the hose in the water and they suck on it and then put it in the empty bucket real quick and the water goes into it. Atleast that's what it seems like. Am I right?

I've seen people do it where they put the hose in the water and they suck on it and then put it in the empty bucket real quick and the water goes into it. Atleast that's what it seems like. Am I right?

Yup,
Thats ho wI do it.
The First taste of Tank water and Fish poop Will help you learn how Fast to pull the hose away from your mouth. lol! :D

I change 10 Gallons every two to 3 weeks using Ro/Di water i get from my
LFS you dont wanna use Tap water... thats another thread
Most people will get tired of running to the Fish store for water and Purchace a RO/Di Filter.
Wal-Mart sells Ro water by the gallon i think its like 33cents.

No way do I suck on the hose. YUK! I plug one end with my finger and fill it up with water once thats done put end in water remove finger water flows. Man do you know whats in that water. Double YUK!

No way do I suck on the hose. YUK! I plug one end with my finger and fill it up with water once thats done put end in water remove finger water flows. Man do you know whats in that water. Double YUK!

Really? When I have a sore throat I will do a water change and when I siphon the water I will make sure I get some in my mouth and than a gargle it. No more soar throat:mrgreen:

Make sure you use RO water for changes. Mix new salt water for water changes, but use RO water for top offs during the week. NEVER use tap water (unless you want to join Biff's club). You don't have to suck on thw siphon, unless you want to taste the water, you can just use gravity. Fill the siphon with water and lift it out of the water, pointing up, until the water flows out of the hose and quickly submerge the siphon back into the water (still pointing up) and the suction will remain constant. Make sure to unplug your return pump when you do this, or you will risk running your sump dry ( if you have a sump that is)

-Dr Marco :sfish:

so much sucking on hose talk here. so many lude comments passed up!

also syphon gravel vac for me. and about 20-25% every 3 weeks.

12 gallon 10% weekly (only live rock filtration)
180 gallon 20% oh every 2-3 weeks (w/ refugium filtration)
850 gallon and 4 - 20's about every 3-4 months (w/ refugium)

I use a siphon hose in my 180 and a power head to pump the water back in from my container. ONLY use RO water. If buying from your LFS make sure that they have a low TDS (total disolved solids) in their water.

with a hang on filter I would suggest you do at least 10% weekly.

i change 10 gallons every two weeks in my 55 gallon. i use a gravel vac to suck out the old water and gunk. then i use a maxijet powerhead with a piece of vinyl tubing attached to pump water back in from my buckets. i just pour ro water from a gallon jug into my sump for top-off

Back