Walmart Water

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I have heard a lot of people talk about getting their water from Walmart. I had heard that they recently pulled this product off the shelves because of a bacteria problem in them. Has anyone heard more about this or when it will be resolved? Also when you buy distilled water from a store do you need to do anything to it before mixing with salt and putting in your tank? I have only used my API Tap Water Filter up until now and that filter is done already and I am second guessing buying another. The first one lasted less than 3 weeks.

They pulled what product from the shelves? You dont need to treat the water you buy just make sure you buy good water.

What i do is take two 5 gallon containers and have them filled with RO water. I do this about twice a week.

I was using the destilled water from wal-mart.I've not had a chance to see if it was here though.As for preping it.No,you dont have to do anything except add the salt and mix.

Someone on this board, i forget who, said that walmart pulled their distilled water from the shelves because of a contamination of some sort.

I used to have the API tap water filter, and it didn't do a very good job, and didn't last long, as you've noticed. Not to mention the replacement cartridges were way expensive. It would be cheaper to buy bottled water from Walmart than to continue using that thing. You don't need to treat the bottled water with anything, just add salt.

unfortunately the Wal-mart by me didn't have a water unit I could just fill up from so I ended up buying 10 x 1 gallon distilled water. They cost .68 cents each.

Is the Walmart distilled water for .68 cents the same as RODI? It doesn't say Reverse Osmosis on it anywhere, but its the only distilled water I see on their shelves.

distilled should be pretty pure, if not more pure than just regular RO is my guess. at 6.80$ a trip + hassle I would say a nice RO unit would be more cost effective. I got one on sale at fosters and smith for like 116$ at the time, makes 50 gallons per day max, I get probably 25 out of mine with my water pressure, biff could probably direct you to a nice affordable ebay one that seems to be working for her last I heard for a great price...

I am currently living in an apt with 2 other people. I dunno how much space and whatnot goes into an RO unit, but I dunno if I can find a spot that won't get too much in the way.

if you cant get an ro unit, then see if you can find those 5 gallon jugs. A water store will have them. Then just have it filled with RO water. I get my water for $1 per 5 gallon.

I still get the walmart water out of the Culigan unit. I bring in my 5 Gallon buckets. and .33 cents a gallon ya cant beat it . I plan on getting a RO/DI unit and a tank soon.

I'm not sure how people hook theirs up under sinks, hopefully Biff will chime in. Ive just got mine taken over a sink in my basement. Its mounted above the sink and there is an attachment that screws onto the end of the sink or a garden hose.

the walmart by me doesnt have a filling station. Where do you go to get it filled?

I buy my water from two places. First from a water store that has a 9 stage RO unit. And sometimes from my LFS.

(moderated by jhnrb)

Last edited by a moderator:
My RODI unit is hooked up under the kitchen sink. My exhusband installed it. He had to punch a hole into the pipes to install it. But it works fine, and it hardly takes up any space and you don't even see it. My boyfriend punched a hole in the sink and the line runs up through the sink to the tank.

lol interesting topic going on. Anyway I ended up getting my 2x 5 gallon jug and RO water from Wholegoods for .47 cents per gallon. I hope the RO is just as good if not better than the distilled they sell in 1 gallon jugs at Walmart.

Look at the firestorm you started...lol. Glad you've your water though. Much happier that you didnt get it from Bentonville too.

Back