VHO Lighting

Brett

Reefing newb
I've been looking at HelloLights, after a couple of positive comments in this forum, about a 48" VHO retrofit. So, my question: choice of 3 bulbs for a FOWLR (potentially expanding to a few mushrooms and/or zoanthids at some point.) Any recommendations? 10,000K, Super Actinic, 50/50, Trichromatic, Aqua-D Super Actinic ... so many choices, thought I would get some input. Thanks in advance.

I am using 4 vho bulbs over my 75 reef tank and have been very happy with them. Is this going to be for your 55 gallon in your sig? If so you might look at the 46.5 inch bulbs. Since the tank is 48 inches long the bulbs with end caps would be longer than the tank. My hood is just as wide as my tank so I had to use the 46.5 bulbs. They fit perfectly with just a little room to spare. I am running 2 super actinic and 2 aqua sun daytime bulbs. I am happy with the growth I get out of them but I want more of a blu/white look than I am getting with these bulbs. The aquasun have just a little too much orange tint to them for my taste. When I replace the bulbs I plan to get the super blue actinic and the 50/50 bulbs. I have seen them set up like that and they look great!! Even with a closed hood you shouldn't have any heat issues. M y bulbs sit approx 9 inches over my tank and I don't have any problems with heat.
I think URI bulbs have the best color. Hope this will help

Thanks Patrick - I thought I could get away with 48", but after measuring, the bulbs+ballast would be 1/8" too long to fit in my canopy. So, great advice - I'm gonna go with the 46.5". Follow up question: of the bulbs available for choice on hellolights, one is "Super Actinic VHO." Doyou know if this bulb has the blue tones that you mentioned? Haven't been able to find that info in my online digging. Thanks!

Brett

Those are the same bulbs that I am talking about. They are URI bulbs. The super actinic are blue bulbs. If it were me I would run 2 50/50 bulbs and 1 super actinic bulb. If you just run the super actinic bulbs the tank would be very blue and would not have the proper spectrum for corals to grow.

Back