UV Sterilizer

I am shopping for a UV sterlizer for my 67 gall reef tank. I found this one on E-bay Any thoughts??

UV POND Light Sterilizer 18 watt UVC water cleaner - eBay (item 110477051754 end time Feb-02-10 17:25:21 PST)

HMMMM.... it seems ok but.... There is no brand name listed (that i can see anyway). Also... Make sure that you can get replacement bulbs that fit it. The bulbs do wear out. I replace mine every 10 months. You want to make sure that you are not running a return pump that pushes threw to much water to fast, or the UV will not kill the algae or the parasites. I have actually slowed my flow lower than reccomended on my return pump to make sure that i am killing parasites. Some people say that this kills your co pods but i still have hundreds visible in my tanks. I run a mag 5 on a 18watt UV tubo twist ( on a 72 gallon ) and it seems to run perfect for me. Any thoughts from anyone else on this UV??? i have not heard of it before????

I did a Google search on the cuv-118 (the number on the box in the pic) came up with a bunch of sites that talk about it and people who have replacement parts. Do a search and read up on it before you buy. :twocents:

Looks like a good deal to me. If they had the bigger models I may consider it. Just remember that it is one more thing to maintain on your tank. Why do you need it?

uv's are great but depending on what you want they can be bad for your tank. they kill everything that passes through them if you have a slow flowthrough or they kill less and less with a faster flowthrough. i have a 40w gamma uv that i paid 112 for they are only around 200 brand new

I am looking at one based on recommendations that I have read for water clarity and disease reduction. What are the downside to one of these devices?

the downside to these is that anything that passes through it is dead. so if you have a fuge set up to help keep a supply of pods for the fish to eat they will all die before they get to the tank if they go through the uv.

Back