Using Fame Coral Inserts

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok I have a reef tank with around 27 corals.

I was thinking of setting up my old 80Gal Bowfront to house my corals and turn my 220 into a FOWLR tank so I can get some fish I cannot have.

Has anyone ever used something like the Instant Reef coral inserts?

I know they do not look real like they claim but man it would be nice to able to have a Trigger or a Lion or some Large Angels or even a Puffer without having to worry about the corals.

I still love having my corals so that is why I would use my 80Gal to keep them.

I would hate to do it and then hate having it because once you have the real stuff even pretty fake ones are or can become an eyesore.

Nothing is worse than going to an aquarium and seeing fakearse corals in the tanks. One good thing is I would not need a lot of things like strong lights and such a large sump and skimmer although I would keep my 75Gal sump/Fuge for the bacteria and rock storage.

Sounds like a good idea...those fake corals look nice at first, but they start looking crappy once the algae start growing on it. If you can keep the algae from growing on it, then I say go for it.

+1 Smitty.
We just got an aquarium in Cleveland. It's sort of weak. I went to opening weekend. Every tank is crammed with those fake cheap, bright corals, like the ones you see online. (tho, I'm sure you could find some more tasteful ones) All I could think of is, what are those going to look like in 3 months, a year?

I guess I could just try to cheap a lot of mushrooms and cheap corals.

I mean I have seen tanks with these fish and corals in them that looked fine but who knows.

I'll just get a lot of shrooms and Zoa haha so the tank has some extra color.

How do all these people just have rock and no coral. I guess it is because I have so many cool corals I can't imagine only having rocks.

Eh, if you like the look of 'em, try one out and see. What do we know? I'd be curious how they stand up to salt and algae. Worth a shot maybe?

It says if you get snails they keep it clean.

I saw some on youtube from installers and I saw some that once a year take out the fish and the inserts and bleach the tank or bleach it with them in and brush them down.

This was on large tanks and I am not bleaching anything. With mine I could just pull them out but I am not trying to do that to the fish every 9 months or whatever.

As far as trying them out, for $750 it would cost for my tank I am not doing it haha.

I checked some of their stuff and some looks cool and some looks crappy.

I think I will pass on them. I am not spending all that and then hating it. I don't care what others think as much as myself when I look at it. I hate thos ones they use that look like a bunch of pods trying to look like a Favia.

Hmmm I will look around and check stuff out. I may never do anything but if I do I want to make sure I won't hate it since it is in my front area of the house where no-one can miss it.

It's too bad if I have a coral tank it will be hidden in the front room.

Maybe I will. Just seems like a looooonngggg experiment.

I wonder of there are any forums on them because their site is all fluffy.

Back