Upgrading to MH

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Need a suggestion for a solid single MH light setup any suggestions welcome. I have no knowledge of good brands etc for this magnitude of an upgrade nor do I wish to make the gamble with the $$.

Will be going on a 30G Bowfront, for a new setup, reef capable.

Thank you,

C

Last edited:
I have a k2 viper 150watt mh on my 29 gal, and I absolutely love it. It was hard finding a 30 inch fixture, so I went with a clamp on fixture.

I think a 150 watt hanging pendant would be perfect. Over my 10 gallon, I have a FishNeedIt pendant, and it's great. They are very affordable.

I would look into a pendant with a power compact actinic too if you can.

I absolutely love my halides but I REALLY wish I would've looked for something with actinics too. Only problem was I couldn't fit a MH/T5 combo on my tank and I figured the PCs would be useless.

My pendant doesn't have actinics, but I've found if I use a 12K or higher MH bulb, I still get the nice bluish tinge to the tank.

Don't know if this helps, but I'll throw out my lighting on the 29g frag tank.

175w MH 14K bulb. 2x 65w PC - one actinic - one 460nm

I'm upgrading my 55 gallon to a 90 gallon in about a month or two and looking into a new lighting setup. I don't really have any initial plans to have anything with high light requirements but I might in the future so I was considering getting a MH-t5 setup but I have some concerns over water temperature. How much more heat does a MH-t5 setup generate into the tank over a typical 4-6 bulb T5 setup

Having had both types of lights, I'd say a lot more. People will say that T5s and MH emit the same amount of heat, it's just a lot more noticeable with MH because it's concentrated in a very small area and with T5s the heat is spread out over the length of the tank. But my MH lights do heat up those tanks considerably, whereas the tanks with T5s don't get heated up much from the lights.

I have a 90 currently, and I went with the Nova Extreme Pros (6 bulb T5s with individual reflectors) mainly due to price and power consumption.

LFS manager and friend, said I could get some form of a t5 Fixture that he could order for me that they sell, would cost me around $40 if that and it supposed to do the job pretty well, it can be hung or mounted to a canopy, I think it has 4 T5's. Will get brand name tomorrow when I pick up the Liverock.

LFS manager and friend, said I could get some form of a t5 Fixture that he could order for me that they sell, would cost me around $40 if that and it supposed to do the job pretty well, it can be hung or mounted to a canopy, I think it has 4 T5's. Will get brand name tomorrow when I pick up the Liverock.

I'd just about bet thats the Hagen Glo Lights.

Back