un-ending questions...

jandswyo

Reefing newb
Hey all, yeah this is my first post, so please be gentle...lol. Been dabbling in saltwater for a few years now and have been decently successful so far. My main question of the hour is about my anemones. I received these anemones, i believe them to be long tentacles, as tiny hitch-hikers on some live rock. They were tiny. Anyways they have grown and thats fine except these things will not stop cloning. Started with two, now upwards of 15 and countings. One is even attached to one of my turbos...lol. I know how bad a anemone dying can be, any suggestios on which route to take? We love the two originals, what about birth control?...lol. Ok enough rambling, thanks in advance for the advice, and i'm sure i'll have hundreds of additional questions....

At the rate they are repoduceing its likely you have aptasia anemone. Not a good thing.

Kalk paste and a syringe will do them in or you can order some joes juice which is likely the same thing.

I highly doubt they are long tentacle anemones. I agree with DL that it sounds like aiptasia, which is a pest anemone. Pests because they reproduce so quickly and sting and kill your other livestock. Google aiptasia and check and see if that's what you've got.

If it is aiptasia, you should kill them ASAP. They are bad news. You can use a thick paste of water and kalkwasser, or a thick paste of salt and water to smother them. You can also use a syringe and inject them with lemon juice, Stop Aiptasia or Joe's Juice (both of which are chemicals made specifically for killing them).

Peppermint shrimp will eat them, so if you don't have any peppermint shrimp, I'd highly recommend getting 3 or 4 for your tank to help control any aiptasia that come up in the future.

thanks for the advice, and to think here i've been feeding the pests. Are there any other animals that will eat besides the butterflies and peppermints? Starfish maybe? Always stayed away from them but my wife has wanted one for awhile now. Will keep my eyes peeled for some peppermint shrimp, hard to get much livestock in my city. We have one "cough, cough" chain store and thats it for a long ways. They have some chocolate chip starfish, no shrimp though.

Starfish will not eat aiptasia. Copperband butterflies will, but they do not live long in captivity. I don't recommend buying a copperband as it probably won't live longer than a month or two. Berghia nudibranchs eat them, but berghia nudis ONLY eat aiptasia, so once your aiptasia is gone, they starve to death. I also don't recommend berghias unless you can pass it on to another reefer that has aiptasia once it's done with your tank. Peppermints are your best bet for natural control.

Chocolate chip stars are not reef safe, they will eat any corals they can get ahold of. You may want to order a good cleaner crew (including some peppermints) online. At www.etropicals.com you can build your own cleaner crew, and shipping is free. I've ordered cleaners from them several times (including shrimp) and they've always come alive and healthy.

Back