Ugh!

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
I have two clownfish (one orange/one black)....they've always been together....at my local pet store....and in my tank for the passed few months. The orange one turned nasty on the black one a couple of days ago. I have no idea why. Can this be common? I know sometimes clownfish don't like other clownfish...but these two have always been together. The orange one is badgering the black one to death. Its fins are all frayed....it's stopped eating. I'm going to try to rescue it and bring it back to the pet store....Thoughts? Thanks. :bye2:

How do I do that? Do I order them that way? I assumed these two were/end up a mated pair because they've always been together. How can I be certain? Is there anyway? Thanks

They both need to be the same breed, first. Then buy one very large one (Which will turn into a female if it isn't already. Sounds weird, but true.) and one very small one (This will be a male). They may not get along completely in the beginning but will soon pair up and become a mated pair.

Clowns are all born male. See here:

Clownfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+1 everyone....mine were together in the tank at the lfs....same size and breed....brought them home, and a few days later, started beating each other up....one eventually became alpha and the female. The other was always smaller.

They were different types of clownfish. They were both the 'finding Nemo' type...but one was black and one was orange. I did capture and return the black one to the pet store. It's the one that was being badgered. I'm thinking about getting a very small orange one they have at the pet store right now....is definitely still a male. I'm a little nervous. I wonder if the orange clownfish will turn on the new one because of the bad recent experience.

I wanted to let everyone know I purchased a tiny clownfish of the same breed a couple of days ago...and my larger clownfish has taken to it very well. Thanks for the great advice everyone! :)

Here's a photo of them. It's a little like a Finding Nemo reunion. lol

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5201.webp
    IMG_5201.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 227
Back