Type of water

BJR

Reefing newb
I'm new to this hobby and would like to set up a reef aquarium. I live near a beach -- would it be wise to use saltwater from the ocean to start my aquarium?

Also, would wet sand from the beach be considered "live sand"?

Thanks

Unless you are going and collecting the water from out in the ocean your should be fine?/ I would guess.

I would stick with mixing your own using RO water and I would not use the sand from the ocean. You are risking adding the unknown to your tank.

Usually it's not a good idea to use ocean water -- it's terribly polluted. Especially where you are, on the east coast.

The only time people say it's okay to do that is if you get in a boat and collect it from at least a mile off shore.

Same for the sand.

You're going to need RO/DI water for top off on the tank.... so you might as well buy some salt and have pristine water :P

Even the companies that sell "natural sea water" show some sort of filtration to the water to remove any contaminants.

I wouldn't suggest anything from the raw ocean (you never know what kind of parasites may be in your collection too).

funny-pictures-mutant-fish-banana-1tB.jpg

this is what will happen to your fish if you use seawater from around NYC..... mutants.

Back