Too much filtration?

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys. Well, to make a long story short I purchased a full setup used. It came with a sump filter with a filter pad and activated carbon chamber and a protein skimmer. I have been reading a book and it seems that for what I am doing, for now at least, the sump may be overkill. Being a new aquarist I am only starting small. The tank is a 75 gallon and I am looking to start with a few clown fish and a few others when i do some research. Is the sump too much?

The sump is a good place to hide equipment like the heater and skimmer. It also adds extra water volume to your system. The more water the more stability you could expect. Especially when doing water changes!!! I might go without for a few months but I would definitely keep the pieces and add them soon. However it is not necessary to have a sump. The options are endless!

When you set this up I would set the sump up as well. It will come into play at a later date, but it is much easier to just do it all now. Also, one of the greatest things about a sump is increased water volume, and the next best thing is you can hide your equipment down there(heaters, skimmer, ect.). Your live rock and skimmer will be your primary filtration. I would absolutely set it all up now and start using it.

Back