Too Much Air in Tank

tmorman

Reefing newb
I’m so new at this that I have a tank with LR but don’t have any fish yet! I’m setting up my tank and have a lot of air bubbles in the tank. The tank is 65 gal with MegaFlow return. There is a 15 Gal sump with a protein skimmer, sock and return pump. The pump is completely covered with water and away from the skimmer exit. There is not a lot of air in the sump, but there is always a small amount of bubbles being returned. Then every couple of minutes, a huge amount of bubbles floods the tank. Since there are no bubbles in the sump, I’m thinking that they are being created in the return system. Is this possible? Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my last task to complete before I add fish! Thanks!
:question:

Welcome to the site.
Did you happen to leave the sponge over the return pumps intake?If so,then it'll take a day or 2 to get all the air worked out of the sponge.If you dont have the sponge on,then it could be causing little whirlpools right above the pumps intake.The easy fix to that is to raise the water level in the retuen section.

Thanks for you response, yote. There is no sponge or whirlpools. I'm starting to track it back to where the locline connects to the return plumbing. there is a 90 elbow with a hole drilled in it to provide a siphon break. This hole is out of the water. I need to confirm this, but i think thats what is happening. If so, i need to re-engineer this to get all thees parts under the water line.

That siphon break hole should be letting a small stream of water out instead of sucking air.At least thats what mine does.

Back