To Disinfect or Not to?

MichaelR

Reefing newb
Hello there,

I am almost set on setting up a saltwater aquarium, and I will most likely start off fish-only (with live rock).

My aquarium, currently set up for freshwater, had been cycling for about two weeks before I decided to make the change. Since that time (it has been a week now), I haven't added any ammonia to cycle my freshwater aquarium.

Now, I realize that cycling is entirely different for saltwater fish, so I was wondering if it would be necessary to disinfect my aquarium? Nitrites were already appearing in the aquarium, so there is evidence of bacterial growth.

Simply put, will these bacteria in any way adversly affect the cycle of my saltwater aquarium?

I also have a question regarding which live rock is best to use.

I've heard that live rock from the Indo-Pacific region is far superior to the most common Fiji rock.

Is this true, and are rocks from Marshall Island considered to be from the above region?

This is all for now,

Mike

I'm a little confuse at what you are trying to do exactly.You are wanting to switch over from freshwater to salt in the middle of a cycle,right.I would remove all the water,gravel,decoration and start anew.The tank doesn't need to be disinfected...just rinse well.I think your wanting to save the nitrifying bacteria,if so,don't worry about that, there will plenty of them with the live rock you buy.

Live rock..most live rock you buy is Indo-Pacific including Fiji except the ones called Caribbean/Haitian/Florida Aquacultured live rock.IMO,Fiji live rock has gone downhill over the years.There are so many exotic names like Pukani,Keilini...I think all are from the Tonga region.Are you looking to buy live rock locally or online.I'm using Uaniva and Tonga branch from here.....http://www.saltycritter.com/liverock.htm....Some of the best rocks I've seen in the business.

I was a little confuse so ask away if I didn't answer the questions right.

Thanks for your reply,

I don't really care about preserving the bacteria in the filters. I was just asking if there is any reason to disinfect the tank to kill off the bacteria which have colonized for freshwater.

Also, the only thing in the aquarium apart from water is the crushed coral, so I technically haven't started anything.

I was considering Marshall Island, Haitian or Fiji live rock. I would prefer to buy locally.

Mike

I understand now,no need to disinfect, just rinse.Are you using crush coral as your substrate?If you are consider the switchover to an aragonite base sand.Its not necessary but its better in the long run.I can't tell you how many people I run into regrets starting a saltwater tank with crush coral.

I agree with Reef 100% on the crushed coral.After about 3 months,it starts looking like crap.I know you can vaccume it,but it still holds alot of unwanted junk.
As for your live rock,thats pretty much a personal choice,just pick the one you like best and run with it.You might even decide to mix and match your rock.

Go with sand and not crushed coral. As for live rock, what matters is the pourous nature of the rock. Many times, rock that is purchased online can be smaller, broken pieces. I like to see what I am getting, I hand pick my rock to make sure it fits me need. It is more expensive in the store (about $6 a pound), but for me it is worth it. It also help me to know it has been cured before I add it to my tank. Make sure you smell it before you buy it, if it stinks, don't get it.

Rinse out your tank and you will be fine to change it over. Make sure you have all you need before filling it with water (like putting your sump under your stand-- I had a heck of a time trying to fit mine under my already established tank. Also, make sure your stand will be strong enough to support the added weight of a salt water tank with live rock. Freshwater stands tend to be more flimsey (did I spell that right?) and might not suport the weight. Plan for 10 pounds a gallon - your stand needs to hold 900 lbs. Hope this helps.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

Back