Thermometer and Heater

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
I was going to get a coralife digital thermometer, however I started to investigate and people were saying that it wasnt very accurate, so I started looking into the most accurate thermometers and people have been saying that the most accurate is the ones are the ones that are used to make beer? I was given this link and people say it only goes off by like .2 a degree or something. Thoughts?
12" Laboratory Thermometer
I have also GOT to put a heater in my tank before I put any fish in there. I have three from previous freshwater tanks, I dont know the brand but I know that before my thermometer broke (thank you dear daughter) My temp was reading about 68-70. And that was in the hottest part of the day. Thoughts on brands? Placement???

For the safety purposes I'd think a fully submersible heater would be the way to go. I have a bunch of marineland stealth pro's which I love but unfortunately after a couple years they were recalled due to poor/unsafe design (they burn through the plastic (LCP) and supposedly have even exploded when outside of water:shock:). Regardless, make sure your electronics are on a GFI circuit and ground your tank (you probably have done this already).

For the safety purposes I'd think a fully submersible heater would be the way to go. I have a bunch of marineland stealth pro's which I love but unfortunately after a couple years they were recalled due to poor/unsafe design (they burn through the plastic (LCP) and supposedly have even exploded when outside of water:shock:). Regardless, make sure your electronics are on a GFI circuit and ground your tank (you probably have done this already).
Yes sir they are. My husband and I have had WAY to many problems with bad electricity in other apartments so every thing is like that that has any value. Along with everything is on surge protectors as well.

Stay away from the stealth pros I had one go berserk then they recalled them. They have new ones out but i dont trust them. I dont even have one in my tank anymore and it stays about 80 (good ole florida heat)

I love my digital its super accurate. I also have the $3 sticker ones that go on the outside for back up they always match the digital.

i have the coralife digital thermometers. I've bought a few of them. they usually start pretty accurate but if they are over-handled they lose accuracy. I've had one stay pretty accurate for about a year now.

I've had 2 stealth pro's melt on me during a water change because they were outside the water. Took me a minute to figure out why the GFI kept tripping when I filled it back up. I've had many conversations with United Pet Group. I explained to them that there is no way the product meets UL. I think they said it was designed and certifified in China. Maybe they resoved the issues now.

I have the Coral Life digital on 2 different tanks. They are fine as far as I can tell, at least they match my Apex temp reading.
As for a heater, look into the Jager. I just took mine out after 12 years of use. They are by far the most reliable and longest lasting out there today.

For a thermometer, I have one of those, Lifegard Little Time or Temp ones from Petco. Seems to do the job.

As for a heater, I still have a stealth pro in my tank, been too lazy to pull it out, even though I have a brand new eheim Jager to replace it with. Think I'll calibrate it and 'install' it tomorrow on my day off, been playing with fire for far too long.

I bought a reefkeeper lite for my 75g, been tempted to put it on the 30g but I think it would be a waste. ^^

Back