the rocks

buckeye

Reefing newb
O.K., after the last thread I posted about anemonies, I decided that it is indeed not worth the risk! Therefore, my new idea is to have this first tank be a reef fish only tank. I am still planning on the 29g tank. What are the suggestions out there for the rock in the tank? How about the substrate and depth? Overflow with sump, or is a good hang-on filter sufficant since no coral?

I'm all ears (eyes since on computer!) Thanks as always!

Reef fish only? Do you mean fish only? The type of rock doesn't really matter, some types look better than others, but it's all a matter of personal preference. Just aim for 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. For substrate, go with aragonite sand. The depth is up to you. In my tank I have 3 to 4 inches. But the more sand you have, the less space for animals and water. A sump is always a good way to go, but not always do-able. If you can swing it, by all means add a sump. It adds to the total water volume of the tank and gives you a place to hide your equipment. If you don't want to do a sump, get a good protein skimmer.

Please don't get scared out of doing a reef just cuz you caught some heat about the BTA. IMO reefs are easier to care for than fish only. There is a benefit to fish having the corals in the tank, it is more like their natural habitat. unless you are going for a shark tank or something like that. Just be patient with the process and you will do just fine.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

as biff said it never hurts to go with a sump... you could get away with a hob filter but if you can do sump definately do it. and either way you go for sure a good protien skimmer. can i suggest against the prism.... just dont buy it. i have nothing but bad things to say about the one i unfortunately have on one of my tanks

Back