The best Airstones

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
My cheapo BC29 skimmer needs a 4 inch limewood airstone which are very difficult to find on the net. ($3 each, shipping $12.99 and jlaquatics only has one left). I tried the RENA "micro bubble" but the bubble ares not the fine enough. (Uh no, I don't have $150 for the better saphire skimmer at this time).

Is there an airstone that will produce bubbles as fine as the limewood airstones?

Yeah but the coralifes are only 2 or 3 inches long. Maybe I could jury rig 2 of those in the skimmer. I'm starting to hate my Oceanic BC29 skimmer. It worked decently for a while but they don't have a replacement airstone?

Airstone driven skimmers are pretty ineffective for saltwater, because the salt just ends up clogging the airstones, so you have to replace them more and more often. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I don't know of anyone that uses an airstone skimmer, so I have no idea where to find replacement airstones. I know that my local Petco and Petsmart sell a variety of airstones, you could try them. Sorry.

Sen,

Before I traded out the biocube skimmer for a more elaborate model, I purchased these from Petco.
Let me know if your local doesn't have.....send me a PM.
My local petco has (3) packs that I returned after I got rid of the skimmer.

d_4986.jpg

Sen,

Before I traded out the biocube skimmer for a more elaborate model, I purchased these from Petco.
Let me know if your local doesn't have.....send me a PM.
My local petco has (3) packs that I returned after I got rid of the skimmer.

d_4986.jpg

I put a 3 inch limewood airstone in there instead of the original 2 inch and it doesn't seem to produce enough bubbles. It was doing a halfway decent job of skimming tank crud before the first airstone clogged. I put a better air pump on it too. Maybe there's nothing to skim yet.

What skimmer did you get?

Sen,

I have a HOB skimmer for my 30g, but one that will fit right into your BioCube 29g is this one.

This is more like a traditional skimmer that will give you WAY better results than the airstone based skimmer.
This will fit right in the skimmer chamber of the 29g Bio Cube.

46307581.jpg

Back