Tank Glass Dirtay!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah I have been doing it a while but I always wanted to ask if everyone who reads this also has not clean their tank glass every 2-3 days and especially in the corners.

I do@$&^@*&$^@ and I hate it.

I actually have to really clean the front corners once a month by sticking my arm in the tank and it is 30" deep. My long scraper just doesn't get the pressure that far down without bending the blade so I got a shorter one I can really use when I stick my arm in.

I have a ton of flow with a wave maker and 4 pumps plus 4 other powerheads and 2400GPH return pump doing circulation but no matter what I still get green glass.

My water is crystal clear to the max though. I even tried to point a powerhead at the corner and it failed to make a difference.

Please just join in the convo.

I clean the glass just once in a while....my algae eating fish love to munch on it, so unless I have guests coming over, I leave it be LOL But when I DO clean it, WOW my water looks so clean :D

I also scrape coraline from the glass once they spread more, which means I clean the algae off then as well.

I cleaned the front of my tank every other day. I did the sides once a week (like wonton said... my algae eaters loved it... I loved the "kisses" they left). I almost never cleaned the back panel.

Yeah I have a magnet type cleaner and the stick with the rounded blades.

The magnet just seems ok for the front flat parts but I get some that the magnet will not take off like above the sand line and in the corners and around the powerheads for some reason.

I have to scrape them.

I do clean the back panel where I can see though.

I have a couple of spots of glass that get a little "greenish/brown" I handle these with the piranha (sp) mag float that Dennis suggested and I LOVE. I do this twice a week. The back gets browner for some reason (flow?) and I can't get back there with a magnet so once a month I hop on a chair, take some napkins and wipe it all down.
I get stupid coraline spots on the front glass that are pretty stubborn.

I don't think flow is a huge factor because I have a ton. When I throw in a freeze dried Cyclopeeze ball it blows up and is going in 100 different directions.

I have 2 powerheads(1250GPH) dedicated to ripple the top and where they meet is like a downward flow down the center of my tank and that is dead center in the middle of the 2 piles of rock in my tank.

Plus 4 1400GPH on my Wavemaker and then also another 1250GPH and 2 550 GPH.

A lot of random flow, still get dirty but I will check out that magnet. I mean my magnet works on the glass but not well near edges. My glass is 3/4 inch thick and I have had it come away if I go too fast.

Yeah it does. I think it is like a total of 9000GPH because one of the 550GPH is actually 400GPH I made a mistake.

It blow across my Acros constantly while one of the 1400GPH is at 15 Sec intervals Acros them as well. They sit maybe 8 inches away.

It really is awesome though how the water hits at the top and rushes down into the valley of corals and then that along with the wavemakers it is great.

Not really any heat issues either. It is always 78.5-81

2nd best accessory I have bought for my tank.
Easy Blade Algae Scrapers - Black - English

I have to order from them today actually so thanks.

I use this - Aquarium Algae Scrapers for Glass & Acrylic Aquariums: Algae Scrapers

which works awesome and I have a ton of extra blades and I also purchased the short handle when I do the corners because of the loss of pressure trying to scrape in a 30" deep tank.

The glass is 3/4inch thick and the Mag Float which is the large kind is not the strongest on this glass like it was on my smaller tank.

I think it all comes down to pressure. I don't care how strong the magnet is on the Mag Float, it cannot remove the built up algae, it needs a scraper which this item you posted seems to look ready to do the trick.

Back