Tank cleaning

kbuser92

Breeder
So...I'm not new, but I have a question...

For all of those with perfectly clean tanks, what's you're cleaning regimen and how often? Or do you leave it to your apparently magical CUC (less water changes)?

By using a siphon tube during water changes.. I have an acid brush on a long fiberglass stick that I use to "dust off" some types of coral just before a water change. Then with the siphon tube I vacuum the dirtiest water and other areas. BUT, my tank is not very old and I seldom need to do this. I do "dust off" some areas fairly often, it helps me feel like a good care taker.

For a "duster", those fiberglass sticks that come with a reflector on the end for sticking up at a drive way or such are perfect. You cut them to length then an acid brush end slides right over them, nice and snugg. The acid brush has a stainless steel sheet metal body rolled to form a tube and flat on the end to mount the bristles. So, it makes a perfect marriage, and the metal won't harm your water chemistry. Acid brushes come in different sizes, I think I'm talking about the ones with 3/8" wide brushes. You can pick a size to fit your stick. In this case bigger isn't better.

Last edited:
What in the world is an "acid brush"?

I scrape my front glass every morning but leave everything else au naturale.

I have a mag float that I use every day, once a month I take a razor and scrape the coraline algae from the glass on the front and sides. I do a water change every two weeks. Thats about it. Oh I rinse the sponge on my overflow every two days or so.

I tend to always run a refugium on my tanks. My old 10 gallon tank I made a fuge out of a old tetratec pf500, a huge hob filter. Was perfect for chaeto and a light. I kick my self now because I used the included heater on that filter and a year and a half in the heater failed and boiled the tank. Its all good now because my 45 is where the 10 gallon was and its the best tank I have done to date.

The best way to clean a tank is to not get it dirty in the first place :)

Sounds simple in writing, but far more difficult in practice.
It is all about knowing your critters well:
1. Stay within proper stocking levels.
2. Know how often and how much to feed - never give them more than necessary.
3. Know how much and what kind of light are needed by your desired tank inhabitants, so that you can discourage any unwanted growths.
4. Know and maintain the desired water parameters to keep your critters healthy and discourage opportunistic/nuisance growths. Most salt mixes provide these necessary trace elements to different degrees, so keeping a regular water change schedule is vital.

Back