Tang in a 46?!?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
My lfs says I could do a tang in my 46, as long as it's small. He says what he does is sell the tang to you, then once it outgrows the 46, he allows you to swap out for a smaller one again? Is this nuts? I'd love a tang, but not if it's gonna cause me headaches. Also, are some tangs less prone to ich than others?

Id avoid the blue hippo, my tank is 4 feet long and it still has gotten ick on and off for the last few weeks, i think she is finally 100% clean again. Until next time she sees her shadow and gets ick... I think a yellow would do better, my LFS has had one there since I started the hobby in a tiny little tank, and i havent seen a spot of ick on any of his fish yet. oh yeah, my tang is only like 2.5" long too.

I agree with Yote. Your LFS is trying to make money off of you. Don't risk it, the chance that the tang will get sick in a tank that size is too large.

only lavender tang I would keep. they are small and would do fine. bristle tooth too. they will clean your tank constantly. other than that, no

I had a blue hippo in my 46 bow front. The hippo was small, but you can clearly tell that they need more room to swim around. Plus they also like a lot of rock to hide when they get scared and also they like to squeeze in between the rock. So if you add more rock, you're going to have less water in your tank, and to tell you the truth, it's not worth it. If you decide to keep one, once you want to get him out of the tank, you'll basically have to remove all the rock, since they are quick and also get scared easily. In addition, tangs in small tanks seem to be more prone to ich.
When i was able to take him out of the tank, i gave it to my friend who's got a 175 bow front, and the fish looked completely different. Acted a lot differently, seemed happier, i really wouldn't do it until you get a bigger tank!

I dunno when I got my lavender it was in my 36gal corner tank for about 5 mos and he was totally happy. I have since plopped him in the 80 gal where he Is free to swim all over the place. do I recommend it? no. but will that particular tang work? I believe so

I think I'll skip it.......I just really want one big fish in there to take up some space....I'm too used to freshwater I guess, but all the little ones look lost in the space

yeah I think if anyone can understand its me. hell I have a foot long vlamingi tang so I know the desire for a large fish to full space. I think its best that you made the decision to skip it though.

did ya hear that biff? vlamingi vlamingi vlamingi!!!!!!!!!!

yeah that would be the best thing to do (to skip it), i personally wouldnt put any kind of tang in anything less than a 100 gallon tank

Back