T5 lighting for a 75 G tank

scubacane

Reefing newb
Hello- I am in the process of researching equipment for a 75 G reef tank I want to start after having a14G biocube for the past 8 months. I came across a T5 system- current USA nova extreme 8x 54 watts with excellent customer reviews- does anyone have any thoughts- I want to be able to have soft and hard corals and think this set would work pretty well.Looking at 400 $

Last edited:
i would go for a halide for a 75 gallon tank
try aquatraders if yr going cheapbut remember uget what u pay for

The light you mention will be plenty for what you are wanting to keep-soft and LPS corals.Even lighting demanding corals like most SPS will be fine as well if placement is about halfway up or higher.

However,they have a new model called the Nova Extreme Pro.It only has 6 bulbs but it has individual reflectors...which really IMO is the single most important feature when looking for a T5 fixture.Because the light from the back of the bulb is reflected back down into the tank it is more powerful than the 8 bulbs single reflector Nova Extreme.One downside is they did leave out the lunar lights with the Pro's.Price is about $350 at most online vendors.The $50 you save over the Extreme,you can use to add lunar lights if you like.

Freak is right, those lights would be great for a 75 gallon tank. I had the Nova Extremes over my old 55 gallon tank (the 4 bulb 48" fixture, not the 8 bulb) and kept LPS, SPS and an anemone successfully.

Freak our small tank lighting Guru . I would listen to him on any T-5 information he offers. And a 75 gallon tank is a great canidate for T-5's unless you expect to go principally SPS and grow out a lot of frags, then I would recommend Halides with T-5 supplemental actinic.

Last edited:
Back