Syphon issues help S.o.S!!!!

Gusanova43

Reefing newb
Syphon issues I can't get my syphon to keep going and tricks or ideas how to make it work I've tried the small tube in the u shaped piping I'm getting tierd of this system

It's a eshopps 100 gallon with a rio 3100 pump 3420 lph overflow box hanging behind tank with u shapes tube on top connecting both boxes that's where I'm losing siphon

I had a smaller pump the people at the fish store suggested a bigger pump so I got the rio 3100 it works fine when the siphon gets going I just can't the siphon to stay on 5mins tops it's just a u snapped tube from one box to another and a spongy sleeve connecting a small piece of PVC that goes into the hose that goes to the sump I think I'm missing some kind of seal or something cause that's where the pressure gets released from

I am thinking that there is a leak because the siphon sounds like its breaking due to air entering the system and not from the siphon being to strong. Any way to get a picture?

I can't get a picture I'm on my I phone the diagram that the system came with wasn't much help been trying to find a reliable source where English is not a barrier being that the place I got to I have a hard time understanding what the Asian guy Is saying I'll describe it as thorough as I can so possibly u can visualize it the sump system is under the tank it's self the pump is in the box with the water level sitting at the level that is instructed on the instructions have about a 4 inch piece of hose on the exiting side of the pump which is connected to a Lil white PVC filter looking thing not sure what it's called but I was told I need it I guess it prevents water from backing back into pump then the other end of that piece has the larger hose going to the bulk heads which obviously release water into main tank thats what I'm working with help please

sounds like the overflow can't keep up with the pump to me.. If you have syphon and you keep losing it .. if you have a ball valve coming off the return pump try to slow the pump down a little and see if the overflow catches up...:D
It will make a big difference which you have eshopps have one for a 75 gal tank and then a 125.. haven't seen another but I could be wrong but anyway the one for a 75 gal tank only is rated for a 300gph while the pump is rated for 900gph I think... And I have heard stories of people having trouble getting more then 400 to 500 out of the 1 for the 125 which is rated for 800gph if I am not mistaken..

Last edited:
You can add a valve to the output of your pump to restrict the flow back in, that Rio should of had one in the box. Another idea would be to add a second siphon tube which would double the amount of water entering your sump. I'd go with a second siphon tube first, the more water you can turn over the better.

Back