Super Skimmer

shanet1975

Reefing newb
I've been posting about how my skimmer pump is cr@pping out on me and that I would like to try to get a sump/fuge under my tank. I think I am going to leave what I have under my tank there so I don't have to remove the display tank or make braces to remove a support to get the wet/dry out and a tank in. The skimmer I have (not sure what it is) is all contained within the sump (or wet/dry filter system. Here is a picture:
Putfile - Uploaded Picture
Putfile - Uploaded Picture
I'm looking at the coralife super skimmer and am wondering how they work. Is the main cylinder outside of the water and the pump and hose inside the tank? Does it look like it may work with this setup?
Thanks

You can set the Super Skimmers up either way.I personally like mine hanging on the outside of my sump to save space.But I have run it on the inside to.

Only the pump of my super skimmer sits in the sump,the body hangs on the outside.
Since my sump is fairly small,it leaves me enough room to take the filter pads for rinsing,and allows me to keep my heater in the sump too.
I only have about a 5 gallon sump.

Got ya. I have my heater in the section where the return pump is now. I'll look into the super skimmer. Seems to be the easiest and cheapest way out....

Thats what I hear a lot of on here.
Thanks for the advice.
Would the 65 gallon do it for a 55 gallon? Would it be worth it to get the one rated for 125?

I got the 125 for my 50 gallon, in my little 10 gallon sump. It works nicely. Id spend the extra 30 or 40$ and have it do its job more times over... you cant "over skim" the water can you? I doubt it, it just removes harmful toxins and stuff, so you cant go wrong removing more the way I see it... I hang mine on the side to save space, just having the pump and the return inside the water... I think i got mine for 121$ at dr. fosters and smith. easy to use skimmer, except I dont have an air adjuster that I'm supposed to have according to some ppl on the forum...

Some people say it's possible to over skim, i.e. removing good nutrients and trace elements. But I don't think that's going to be an issue unless you never do water changes. Doing a water change and/or adding trace elements should replenish anything that the skimmer removes.

Mint. That is the plan......Now I have to save my pennies for a new skimmer. The fish will have to wait. And my tank is finally cycled and ready :)

Back