sump/skimmer

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I'm just now learning how sumps and skimmers work and the more i want to figure out a way to make a sump fit under my tank... my question is if i dont want to drill anything in my tank, would i just run the pipes from the skimmer over the side of the tank and in? would that work?

also as far as skimmers go, i was looking online and for a 30gal tank they go from like $30 to over $200... why the huge price jump? do some do more than others?

edit: also would a 10 gal tank be good enough to make into a sump for a 30ish galon tank? also how much live rock goes into a sump? does the 1lb/gal rule still apply?

For a sump, a 10 gallon tank would be fine. You want to go with the largest tank you can fit in your stand.

Your tank isn't drilled, so you will need to buy an overflow box. The overflow box will draw water over the side of the tank, and down to the sump. A pump in the sump will shoot the water back up to the tank. It is cheaper to make your own sump instead of buying a pre-made one, which usually aren't that great anyways.

You wouldn't put live rock in your sump. Instead, you would move all your equipment into it (skimmer, filter, heater, etc). You will still need powerheads in the main tank to keep that water moving, though.

If you wanted to put in a refugium, that's where you would add live rock and sand. But a 10 gallon sump would be too small to hold your equipment, return pump and refugium.

About skimmers. The cheap ones are poor quality. When it comes to skimmers, you really get what you pay for. For a 30 gallon tank, you may be better off just doing regular water changes with a filter, rather than get a skimmer (there are few high quality skimmers for small tanks).

what exactly does a refugium do? and as far as the overflow box do you have any links so i can get a better grasp on what you mean? or so i can see prices for something like that? thanks

edit: if i did get a skimmer, would that also go into the sump? or does that have to be in the main tank

edit #2: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+4427&pcatid=4427 thats the skimmer i was looking at... the other more expensive ones were or tanks over 100gal. Is this one any good? i dont know what to look for in one

Last edited:
If at all possible,try going with a 20g. to make a sump.Then you should be able to get all your equipment and have a refugium too.

Overflow box(this is the best,safest and less expensive/you will only really need the 300gph version).I recommend you get the aqualifter pump as a extra security against flooding.......http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3642
That Visi-Jet skimmer isn't a good skimmer.The Coralife 65 should be small and efficient enough for a 30 gallon tank.They are a little finicky but I think it will work well if use in a sump....http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924

BTW, a refugium has several purposes.It's a natural nitrate reduction(macroalgae,live rock and deep sand bed) which is important if corals are in your future.It also makes a good breeding ground for copepods.They in themselves,feed fish and corals.

thanks for the links

also, if i got a 20gal to fit a refugim, do you just add the liverock/sand/macroalgae/etc into the sump so it acts as a sump and refugium at same time?

You want the refugium separate from the sump. You will have your skimmer in the sump, so you don't want the pump sucking in sand and macroalgae. You can make a separate chamber in one tank using plexiglass baffles siliconed in.

Cylinder pump?

Like Biff said,you will need to put in baffles to separate the refugium.The most common is a three chamber sump-skimmer section,center for the refugium,return section.There are other options like skimmer-left chamber,refugium-right chamber,return-center chamber.A little more complicated but you get the benefit of controlling the flow to the refugium.Don't forget you will need a return pump rated near 300gph to go with the overflow box gallonage rating.

no i meant if i coudnt fit a pump/refugium at all, and i just got a HOB or somethin like that instead, what would be my best option?

If you don't have a sump/fuge, your best bet is to get a protein skimmer. When you say cylinder filter, I assume you're talking about canister filters. Canister filters and HOB filters tend to lead to high nitrates, which is a problem in reef tanks. Not so much of a problem in fish only tanks, because fish can tolerate high nitrate levels, whereas high nitrates are fatal to inverts and corals.

i was planning on getting a protein skimmer and a few powerheads, like 2 maybe? for a 30 gal... do i not need any kind of other filter at all then? I thought i would need those and also a canister filter (thats what i meant before by the way), cause otherwise what is going to filter my water?

I used to think the same thing, that some other kind of filtration would make sense, but they could lead to higher nitrates like mentioned before. All you really need is good amount of live rock, a protein skimmer and weekly or bi-weekly water changes.

I hate repeating what I people already mention but here goes..........

You can have a successful reef without a sump.A protein skimmer,live rock(1 lb. per gallon or more) and circulation pumps is all you'll need.I do recommend you get a phosphate reactor for when you may need to run carbon,phosphate and other media.

Back