Sump Size

Kizmar

#derpface
What size sump (in gallons) would be ideal for a 120 gallon tank?

I'm tempted to find (or make) a new one with a nice bubble trap, but want to make sure I get exactly what I need this time.

Also, is there a good online store that sells different types of sump tanks?

I may be changing my mind here... the other thing I'm wondering is what I could use to secure bubble trap walls in an existing sump without having to totally empty the sump.

As big as you can go! That's the only equation needed for sump size.
This is the sump for my 200g tank.... a 150g rubbermaid tub. :lol:

7224698858_9777f94e99.jpg

As big as you can fit is the motto. For my 90 gallon, I had a 45 gallon sump and a 35 gallon fuge. That's as big as I could fit in the space I had to work with. Also, it's so much cheaper to make your own than to buy one. You can use a rubbermade tub from the hardware store or an existing tank. Then you can customize it and have each section as large or small as you want. Have you thought about doing that?

Then you can customize it and have each section as large or small as you want. Have you thought about doing that?

Yeah I think I'm going to try getting a few pieces of plexiglass and try to modify my current sump to add a bubble trap and see where that gets me. If that doesn't work I'll prolly go the round of making my own.

Heheheh...I used a 65g rectangular pond liner similar to his. The more volume you can add, the better the stability of your parameters.

Oh ya.
Pic from my current build thread. Working on the "fish room".

That's awesome. Are you running that as a refugium? (I checked out a couple of your threads, your house looks amazing)

My tank is against a wall, where the other side is a small storage area under the stairs. I could easily put a huge sump system on the other side of the wall by drilling a couple holes. :)

Last edited:
Back