sump question

vbsharktank

Reefing newb
i have a 75g with a sump and i currently am using two canister filters to pump the water to and from the sump and tank. the only problem is that i have a hard time getting the same amount of water pumped into the sump as i do from the sump therefore always requiring me to adjust the valves. i thought about getting a pump and eliminating the filters but i am unsure what size pump to get. if anyone can help me out with this i would appreciate it.

Instead of using 2 canister filter/pump to get water "to" and "from" the sump and tank, you should only use the pump(s) to get water from the sump to the tank. You have to use an overflow thing to have to water flow into the sump using gravity only. Therefore, the rate of the overflow will always depends on how much water you pump from the sump by your pump(s).

Ya you need to install an overflow, and then a pump in (or outside) your sump that will pump the water back to the tank. You need to figure out how much water your overflow can drain per hour and get a pump to match it. Ball or gate valves on the overflow drain line and water return line after the pump can help you dial in the perfect flow.

thanks for all the advice. the hose i would run is a 1 1/2 inch diameter and about 4ft. long. i am preparing to buy the overflow box and pump because i am tired of constently adjusting the valves on the canister pumps. right now instead of using an overflow box i drilled a hole in the lines about an inch below the water line to keep from an overflow of the sump from happening. that seems to be working perfectly.

Back