Sump Plumbing

baileycm

Reefing newb
Do I need a check valve for my pvc pipe coming off my overflow or will a ball valve work good enough for regulating water flow. Also building a 20g sump, is there a certain thickness of acrylic that I should use for the dividers.

No you do not need a check valve on the plumbing coming from the overflow to the sump. You can install a ball valve if you like to reduce flow if you need to or if you need to completely stop the flow that will work well also.

I might be confused in your question, but a check valve and a ball valve do two completely different things.

A check vavle prevents water from syphoning back from the main tank into the sump. Not always needed if the sump is set up propperly.

A ball valve can be used to restrict the amount of flow going up to the main tank. Also not always needed. You just need to match the overflow GPH with the pump GPH. Sometimes it is not possible to do so you use a larger pump and "dial" it down. IMO, if you can find a PVC gate valve, use that. They are much easier to fine tune but they do need more room to use than a ball valve.

When you set up the sump, fill the main tank with water until it starts to drain into the sump. Then fill the sump to about 1 inch from the top. Turn on your return pump. Let the system run for a an hour or so. Then mark the level in the return section of the sump. This will be the "FULL" line. As long as you dont put more water in the tank than this line, the sump will not overflow in a power outage. Make sure the return section of the sump is large enough to accomidate evaporation since this is where it will show up.

ok next question, i dont think the return i have can be dialed down. If it can would anyone know how to. Its a danner mag 1200b. overflow box is an e-shopps dont know gph on the overflow. it has one j tube and only one line to the sump. this is my first sump...so just new at this

Put a ball valve on the return end of the pump.From your description of the eshoppe overflow,it sounds like it's the 600-800gph overflow.

Back