Sump or algae scrubber

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hello. I was wondering if my sump filter was really necessary for water filtration? It is just running water through a basic fluvial filter pad. Is this manner of filtration really necessary? I ask because I'm thinking of turning this sump into a algae scrubber instead. Which do you guys think would be more beneficial? The algae scrubber or the sump filter? Or should I just add a cheap 5 gallon bucket algae scrubber and loop it through the sump? Please, as much tips opinions and advice as possible will help me make the best decision. I already have an algae problem, which is why I'm thinking of the scrubber.

you dont filter water with a sump, a sump is another tank you connect your main tank to so you can increase water volume, put equipment down there or put in a refugium or algae scrubber for filtration.

Its not necessary to have a sump, but it is very handy. But if you put a scrubber in a bucket, that bucket will the sump. And the algae scrubber will be millions more helpful than a fluvial pad. The pad would more than likely lead to issue is you dont clean them frequently.

Instead of getting rid of the sump, if I were you, I'd add a protein skimmer to it. Hannah is right -- the sump on its own is doing nothing for filtration. It just adds water volume and makes a convenient space for you to add filters. I would also add a refugium; they are invaluable for keeping water quality good.

I have an otb protein skimmer. If I can't get it working though , as it seems to currently be faulty, I was thinking I would put a protein skimmer in there along with the heater as well. It's only got two chambers in it. The one where the fluvial filter and carbon bag goes and the return section. A algae scrubber won't fit in my sump anyhow. It needs to be 75 square inches. I REALLY want to figure out a way to get the copepods that the algae scrubber will produce to automatically return to my dt. If anyone has any ideas on this I have an open mind. I love DIY projects and think a custom algae scrubber would be a fun one

That pod thing on the algae scrubber really isnt true, ive been running a scrubber for over a year now and I have yet to see a single pod on it.

Back