Sump issues

OceanCrazy

Reefing newb
I am having a lot of problems keeping air out of the overflow box. I have had the tank overflow twice, and even when I do get the air out, the amount of water the goes in the box is slow. What am I doing wrong?

What is the overflow rated for and what size pump do you have pushing the water back into the tank?

You need to match those pretty closely. Too much return flow and the over flow can't keep up. Too little and you get air caught in the u-tube. Sounds like the pump isn't strong enough.

CPR CS Overflow Boxes

This one?

You will need to get a lifter pump to constantly purge the extra air out of the overflow.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Lifter-3-5gph-inches-height/dp/B001BOD9JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337356887&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Aqua Lifter Pump 3.5gph flow rate to 30 inches height: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Also get the pre-filter. Otherwise the diaphragm in the pump wears out fast.

Yeah, in my 45g, I had a hob overflow w/ the utube. It kept getting bubbles. I realized it was my pump...it wasn't powerful enough for my overflow. When I got a stronger pump, all of a sudden, no more trapped air.

My Eshopps overflow also uses a U tube design but I don't use a aqualifter pump. As long as I have enough flow from my return pump I don't get any bubbles. CPR overflows must be a little different.

CPR overflows are different. The area that the water flows through is the width of the overflow box. No u-tubes involved. They have their benefits in that they are less prone to clogging if a snail climbs into it. But they also have their drawbacks. Like needing an aqualifter pump because larger diameter results in a slower flow.

OK the bubbles are formed from the front part of the overflow box where the water enters the box. So been sucking it out till i get my shipment.

Back