Sump Help

Nedim

Reefing newb
I think I have to break down and build a sump. My tank is getting WAY too crowded with all the pumps and everything. I have no clue how to go about constructing one and my parents will flip if I put too much money into this. I have a spare 10g tank. Is that big enough for a sump?

It is, but it might not fit all your equipment. I made mine out of a 20 gallon tank and I still ran out of space! But I used half of it for a fuge.

Well Im gonna put the skimmer on the tank and Im leaving the biowheel power filter on too. I just REALLLY want to get the sterilizer and powerhead off. Ive fot tons of stuff hooked up to my tank, Im starting to clear out space for my canister filter too. I really need some help with this sump, what do I need to construct it?

You could always use a big rubbermaid container. I've seen this a number of times on tanks...in a lot of ways it works better than glass or acrylic, so long as you have a place to hide it.

Just for the sump no, if you dont want a fuge and just a place to put equipment then you dont need that stuff just a open sump.

Size, for one. More water = better stability. Big rubbermaid containers are cheap and...big. Easy to access, they don't leak...

I don't use a sump on my 25...so trust others before me :) But the sumps that I've seen that seem to be most useful are big ugly rubber ones, so long as you hide them and you don't want to incorporate a fuge.

My oppinion use the 10 turn it in a fuge and put your skimmer and stuff on it return flow to the 46 not only will it hide your stuff but it will also be healthy for your tank. Just get some live sand/Rock some different types of macroalgae and some light it will do good just my oppinion though.

Some plastics can, but there alot of ones that are fine. I dont remember wich one are good though, but what you can do is fill it with water and a power head let it sit for a while then test for phos.

just remember that you will get back siphon if your power fails. be sure to drill siphon breaks in the return lines just below the water level so that you don't drain too much of your tank into the sump. also be sure to leave enough room in the sump for the water that will drain into it. otherwise you will have a flood on your floor. here is a simple diagram which will help i hope.
untitled.jpg

couldn't find the diagram on my computer to modify so i'll explain it a little bit. the far right chamber is for an in-sump skimmer and the water is drained from the tank into this chamber where it will over flow the first baffle and go through the sump to the refugium compartment which is the one in the middle. the third section is where you could have a return pump or have the tank drilled so that you can incorporate an external return pump. if you are going to build a sump this is a pretty good model to follow IMO. It's really cheap to build your own sump. 20g tank is like $20 and you can get the glass cut for the baffles to fit the tank at Lowes. you just silicone in the baffles with regular old silicone (100% silicone ONLY). I built my sump for less than $40. also if you have a HOB skimmer i'd leave it on the display as the sump won't be able to accommodate it due to the low water level (which is set by your lowest baffle.

I have a branch of PVC with a ball valve coming from the return pump back into the sump so that I can adjust flow without putting any back pressure on the pump.

Oh and I almost forgot. NEVER restrict flow BEFORE the pump. the ball valve before the pump is only there so that the pump can be serviced. restricting flow after the pump is much less stressful to the pump.

Good idea the T returning water from the sump to reduce the back pressure.

Back