Sump flow

Kizmar

#derpface
Another survey type question...

I have a skimmer sump, and in the overflow section between the main chamber and the return chamber I have one of those black sponges to stop micro-bubbles. Under the sponge i have some bio-balls, purely to break up flow and hopefully stop a few more bubbles.

As a side note: the micro-bubbles are coming from the intake chamber and the protein skimmer.

I'm wondering if I should remove the sponge to allow for more flow of pods and filter foods though.

So the question is: how do YOU ALL have your sumps set up (if you went the skimmer route)? Did you have to battle micro-bubbles?

Do you have a bubble trap before your return section? The three baffles that are staggered vertically? That's a better way to go than using a sponge.

Do you have a bubble trap before your return section? The three baffles that are staggered vertically? That's a better way to go than using a sponge.

No... And I don't know if that's something I can add? All I have between my return and center sections is a small overflow wall with a tray in the bottom of it. I'm starting to wonder if I should get a better sump tank.

If you look at the second pic on my tank thread you can see what I'm talking about.

I should also note, that in the initial sock filter area, I cut the bottom out of one of the sock filters and stuck it in there. I didn't want to filter out everything that may be flowing through there, but wanted to cut back on the water dropping sound.

Last edited:
You can add a bubble trap yourself. You would need two more pieces of plexiglass or glass, and you would have to silicone them in (using the existing baffle as the third part of the bubble trap). I don't think you need to get a better/different sump. What you have looks good, and adding a bubble trap is a cheap and easy modification.

I like it. So where can I find pics or details on how to convert my sump? :)

If I knew what it should look like converted I can figure it out. Just not sure how a bubble trap works.

This is what you will have to do with a couple pieces of glass or plexi.

bubble-trap-demo.jpg

Are you using a filter sock? I have a bubble trap in my sump and some bubbles still get through to the DT. The filter sock pretty much eliminates any bubbles from entering my DT.

Are you using a filter sock? I have a bubble trap in my sump and some bubbles still get through to the DT. The filter sock pretty much eliminates any bubbles from entering my DT.

I do throw a filter in when I do a water change to catch the debris that gets kicked up, that's about it. I'm trying to get away from using a filter sock. It seems to stop filter foods from making it to the sump and back into the tank.

I have noticed less mico-bubbles with a sock... I guess there's a trade-off there. I still need to try a bubble trap though.

Back