Substrate color?

04Cobra

Reefing newb
I've read that black substrate brings out the colors of fish in freshwater aquariums. Would it do the same for a marine tank? I know that it's just a matter of taste, but I've never seen a reef tank with black substrate.

Any opinions?

Many tanks have black sand, it really makes the color of the corals pop. Off the top of my head I think Dana and Fast have black sand in established tanks if you want to see what it looks like.

I prefer white because its more natural, but black does make colours stand out more due to the contrast. But it does come down to taste and how natural you want the look, yes. (Though there are areas with black sand)

And Brittany (beeguiles) and Samhain just set up small tanks with black sand.
I mixed white and black for mine. White sand can be hard to keep looking clean and white. It's really up to what look you like.
Check out black sand tank on youtube, tons of examples.

i have black as well i preffer it , just make sure you get taihitian moon sand because if not it will be more grey than true black :D oh and a good sandsifter goby to keep it black , just like with black cars its more of a pain to keep it black lol

old tank w/white
2011-08-20_17-25-34_913.jpg

old tank w/black
2011-09-14_13-34-03_368.jpg

Last edited:
If you do go with the black sand, just be careful with it as it is magnetic and will stick to magfloats and similar magnetic glass cleaners and will scratch your glass.

Oh yeah? I was all ready to get black sand myself, then read this on the reviews of the various black sands which scared me away.... maybe I'll reconsider!

thats why i advice taihitian moon , not just because of the true black but because no magnetism :D lol

some blacksands are magnetic but not all

+1 on black sand. I have two tanks sanded in black, and I love it. No problems with the MagFloat either. I used the Tahitian Moon sand though, so that may be it. Only problem (and it isn't really a problem) is that it does retain heat more than the white. So if you're running hot lights (MH and T5), you need to be careful about maintaining a steady temperature in your tank. No temperature issues with LEDs though!

Back