Storing live rock! ASAP

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I just was given a sweet deal on 100lbs of live rock. Heres my dilema, My tank is not going to be ready for another month, this needs to be picked up on the 17th of May, should I get it and store it in a rubbermaid until Im ready for it? I have a greenhouse that I could keep it in would that be enough light for it? So what else would I need? Just saltwater a powerhead and a heater? Do you all think I should wait or get it now and store it?

I would say it depends on the dilemma with it. If there's a possibility that it might sell or someone else can get it then I would definitely go ahead and get it but if its fine where its at there is no need to rush since it will be there when you come back. Will save you alot of time and stress.

Well I can get most of what I need for 2.50 a pound the rest for 4.00bucks from exstablished tanks with tons of coraline. Both people are buy it or it goes to the LFS in a week. Will the natural sunlight in the green house be enough not to lose a ton of coraline? Or should I keep some strip lights overtop(thats all I have to use in a pinch!)

Heres a link to show the cheaper of the live rock
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1380672

Last edited:
Actually I think Im just going to get all of this its over 200 lbs for 2.50 a pound and he can hold it for me while selling his fish and corals.

Its a done deal. Ill be picking it up as soon as he sells his corals and fishes. Over 200 lbs. I wish my tank was ready to go. He has some awesome fish for sale!

Ryan a greenhouse should be sufficient I would think since thats what it does (add light for plants and try to keep bugs out). If you notice any bleaching then just setup that lighting unit you got on top of it but far away enough so the heat doesn't melt the rubbermaid. You got a great deal on that LR. You are already saving a good deal of money on your tank so far.

Ryan a greenhouse should be sufficient I would think since thats what it does (add light for plants and try to keep bugs out). If you notice any bleaching then just setup that lighting unit you got on top of it but far away enough so the heat doesn't melt the rubbermaid. You got a great deal on that LR. You are already saving a good deal of money on your tank so far.

No lights yet:grumble: Just reflectors they are the last thing on my list as I can use whatever until I decide its coral time. According to my math I saved 1000 bucks on this purchase alone! Woohoo for me.

So ive got my supplies ready. I bought a maxi jet 1200 will this be enough flow or should I drop the mag 18 for my skimmer in it too?

i would bet that the more flow the better in order to get any unwanted die off from the rocks, but I can't confirm that it would make a difference.

The more rock the higher the circulation required, the smaller the gallonage the higher the circulation required, the higher the temperature the higher the circulation required. Something should be used to remove the die off products , such as a skimmer or a sponge filter and some phosphate absorbant would be a good thing.

Back