Starting my first tank- what do I need?

jmedic1

Reefing newb
hello! This is my first post on this site, I've had a 75 gallon freshwater tank for sometime now and I've decided to move to saltwater. I'm starting with a 10 gallon. I'd like to make it a reef tank.

I have not yet put the tank together. I'm trying to figure out what I need for a 10 gallon reef tank. Currently I have the tank(empty-dry), a heater, lighting, and a powerhead. What else do I need for a 10 gallon reef tank? I eventually want 1 or 2 small fish in it and maybe an invert or two.

I've been trying to make sense of how-to stuff online and I'm seeing stuff about special filters, bio-balls, protien skimmers, uv sterilizers, etc... This seems like a lot of different pieces of equipment for one small tank! Can someone just tell me what I need without trying to sell me something I don't need?

I went into a local aquarium store and talked with an employee there for about half an hour (he seemed to know his stuff, plus the store had dozens of huge up and running beautiful tanks so I'm guessing he knows his stuff.) he said all I need for a 10 gallon reef tank with 1-2 fish is a power head, heater,good lighting and live rock for filtration and nothing more. He said cycle the tank with the live rock then add a fish or two and it should be fine with no additional filters as long as I do regular water changes. does this sound right?

Thanks for the help!

-Josh

Last edited:
so, first you should know that a nano tank (less than about 30 gallons) will involve a lot more maintenance and be much harder to maintain than a larger tank.

what kind of lighting do you have?

You don't need anything else, although a small skimmer would probably be helpful, but again, not necessary. Your LFS guy gave you good advice.

Welcome to the site. I would recommend just converting the 75 gallon from the get go. It will be much easier in the long run and will be much more rewarding.

2 lbs/gallon live rock won't leave you much room for stock. Small tanks are pretty cheap. At least got 30 gallons and use the 10 for a sump. It will make maintenance less and easier or convert the 75 to salt as said above. No filter pads, bioballs ,canister filter, required they just make more work. A skimmer will help keep the keep the water clean but not needy if water changes are done more often
Your guy told you the right info on equipment

You got good advice. I have a 10 gallon myself, and I only have a heater, powerhead (for water movement), and light. I do a water change of about 20 or 30% once a week. If you are not going to use a skimmer, you need to keep up with water changes.

1 to 2 lbs per gallon of live rock is perfect, and one to two small fish will be fine in it as well.

What kind of light did you get? Some lights are not strong enough for reef aquariums.

ok, I've reconsidered and started from scratch. I purchased a 30 gallon tank today, as well as an overflow box and lighting for it (Wavepoint high output T5 4 lamp 36''). I'm going to use a large rubbermaid container as a sump with a smaller rubbermaid container inside to house the return pump (to keep the sump water around the skimmer constant). I'm also considering getting "the package" from:

Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - The Package

Any suggestions on skimmer brands? as well as return pumps? and is it worth it to purchase a reverse osmosis system for a 30 gallon tank to to get my h2o some other way?

octopus is good skimmers for that size. I used an aqua C remora pro but that's a HOB, not an in sump.

I use a mag drive return pump.

as for a RODI system, depends how much trouble/cost it is for you to get water from an LFS/pet shop/ grocery store

ADVICE: put the tank in a place where it will stay cool in the summer. Direct sunlight is bad. Once you fill it --it cannot be moved unless you empty it.

Chillers, even for a small tank, are very expensive.

I'm going to use a large rubbermaid container as a sump with a smaller rubbermaid container inside to house the return pump

I'm looking for a practical way to set up a sump. When you get this done could you post up some pics for me? :)

I'll keep it out of the sunlight, thanks!

The two rubbermaid containers were less than 20 bucks combined, one is about 30 gallons and the other is a about 4 gallon, not quite as tall. I'm planning on placing the smaller on inside the larger one and allowing the water to fill the large one then overflow into the small container where it is then pumped back to the tank. My hope is this will keep a constant water level in the large container where I plan on placing my skimmer. I'll put up some photos in a couple days when it is all set up.

Back