Spring time warnings!

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Just a reminder to everyone watch you temperatures and Ph as spring blossoms and the temperatures start going up! As you start getting some fresh air to your tank your PH could spike. I am dealing with a tank full of angry LPS tonight because I didnt turn my fans on today and the tank got a little too warm. Hopefully everything is going to be Ok tomorrow, things got a little pissy and closed up a couple hours ago.

Great thread Ryan.
I've already set up a fan to come on with my halides.Were already having temps in the mid to upper 80s and the house gets warm on up in the day.
Maybe its time to go ahead and turn the AC on.

You see Yote up here where we have six months with snow on the ground we invest in furnaces. That whole AC stuff is a foreign language to us.

It is such a PIA to maintain a steady temperature in my tank being that I am on a second floor apartment. All the heat rises to my place. It can be 65 degrees out and it will be 80 degrees in my apartment. I do have a wall mount air-conditioner for when it gets really hot out.

You cant make it through the summers down here without AC.
I've seen it so hot that if you'd take a cooler full of ice on a fishing trip,you wouldnt need a fishing pole.Just open the lid on the cooler and the fish would jump right in to cool off:mrgreen:

You see Yote up here where we have six months with snow on the ground we invest in furnaces. That whole AC stuff is a foreign language to us.

Come on down to Florida and see what the whole AC thing is about lol. I keep my AC on all the time at a constant 77 so I haven't seen much of a rise in temps.

Great reminder to everyone, especially in SW Florida. I use a clip on fan for MH light kit, makes a big difference. I will watch to see if a chiller is necessary in future. Happy reefing to all!!!

Great reminder Ryan. you could really save someone some loss here. glad your looking out for everyone :h5: hopefully your lps are not too mad!

Well at 4am EST things seem ok with a flashlight, Im looking through bloodshot eyes so we'll have the true test in the AM. Im leapy!

I hear ya, my AC is still out (repair man coming on Tuesday!) and it hit 100 two days this week. We've just been opening all the windows and doors at night, and keeping everything closed and shaded during the day.

I've been keeping my tank lights off to keep the tank cooler, and the tank temp has been staying in the mid 80s.

Now, NDB is another story, he's not a trooper like my fish are! Whine whine whine whine!

Well, we are having the motor replaced. Is that changing the old unit out? We're still keeping the old housing. But getting a new motor.

I admit, I know nothing about what is going on, except A) the coils need a cleaning, and B) we need a new motor.

It's costing a lot of money, whatever it is they're doing. So is it the same?

Thanks for the reminder RyanG

man that sucks biff .clip on fans broke the other day and i was getting temps of 85-87 and no one here has fans for sale because it was still winter and just last tuesday walmart got some in i would have bought more if they had more but they only had two. we are still getting on an off snow here 80 one day and 25-30 the next and snowing

I feel bad for you Daugherty! Yeah it sucks when stores run out of "seasonal" things.

You could always buy a bag of ice, pack it in double ziplock bags (to make sure nothing gets out) and float it in your tank. When it melts, repeat. It's not AS effective as a fan, but it's better than nothing.

i am going back in a couple weeks to see if they have more and buy some more. just in case i need more it seems that they only last about 6 to 7 months before they crap out from all the moisture in the air.

Well, we are having the motor replaced. Is that changing the old unit out? We're still keeping the old housing. But getting a new motor.

I admit, I know nothing about what is going on, except A) the coils need a cleaning, and B) we need a new motor.

It's costing a lot of money, whatever it is they're doing. So is it the same?

Get a few different companies to give you a price on changing the unit out.Ask about Temp Star and Heil,their both made by Carrier.Maytag has the best warranty,but the cost is nearly double.
Most of the time,a fan motor will cost a couple of hundred bucks.A new compressor will usually cost almost as much a whole new unit.
If we lived closer together,I'd change it out for y'all.

Thanks Yote. The unit I have is a Carrier. The cleaning and new motor is going to cost about $900 altogether. I got quotes from 2 places (both recommended by people I know). It's a heat pump system, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice ryan, down here in colorado we dont have the need for a.c yet either. Just open a couple of windows and your house is cooled off. We are enjoying a cool upper 60 :bounce: right now. It wont get hot here well into june. :^:

Back