Some Question about first Set Up

RIJohn

Reefing newb
First off I would like to thank everyone who helped me out with my first thread. Everyone was polite and had great information to offer. Due to everyones insight I have changed equipment to this new list, let me know what you think.

90 Gallon Glass Reef Ready Tank
Stand Cherry Finish
2 Koralia 4 Power Heads
Mag 9.5 pump
160 Reef Octopus Extreme 160
48in Outer Orbit MHI+PC 2x150mhi, 2x96 actinics, 6 LEDs
Sump/fuge 20gallon Tank Split into three Chambers,

Now that is what I have now for equipment

Live Rock 180lbs
Live Sand 90lbs

Now for some questions, thanks to reading past threads in this forum I am going with a different Live Rock supplier then I planned. I plan on using Tampa Bay Saltwater. Now my question pertains to their PACKAGES which include sand, Rock and a cleaning crew.

Can I place the cleaning crew into my tank with the Live Rock and live Sand? Or do I need to wait until the tank cycles?

Should I set up the tank the night before the PACKAGE comes in to get Temps where they need to be?

Can I add Macroalgea to my fuge with just water in my tank, or do I need to wait a little while to add this?

Thanks
John

List looks good. I think you are off to a great start. I would definitely plan on having the tank setup before the rock arrives. You need to mix your salt for at least 2 days to fully dissolve it before adding livestock and even though we are only talking about sand and rock, I'd still suggest filling it 80% in advance so that you have a chance to get the temps right and the salt fully mixed. you can add the CUC with the LR but know that if you order snails you are likely to have some die off while cycling. as for the algae it'll be fine now. There's no reason to hold off on adding it.

I would wait until after the tank cycles before you add any living critters. Most invertebrates cannot tolerate the high nitrates and nitrites that occur during the cycle. You can add the macro algae with only water in the fuge, but again, I'd recommend waiting until you have finished the cycle. My 2c

That equipment package look good to me, but I am new at this also. I do know that you should not put the clean up crew in untill the cycle is done decause the amonia and nitrite will kill them. I would set the tank up half filled with water to get it to room temp the put the sand and rock the fill the rest of the way with water. Let it cycle then add the CUC. As for the macroalgea, others chime in please, there wouldn't be to much for it to feed on untill your fish start producing waste that gets broke down by your live rock.

The way TBSW ships their rock.They send un-cured rock and live sand first to cycle the tank.The once the tank is cycled,they send the other half of the order along with the clean up crew.

Back