Whats the best skimmer for my 46g

• Reef Octopus BH 1000 Hang on back Protein Skimmer

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Reef Octopus BH 2000 Hang on back Protein Skimmer

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was always told not to fix something if it isnt broken. Im going against that here. Ive had my tank up for a year. Been running the bio wheel for my filtration. Havent had many issues. The ones i did have were because i was over feeding. BUT

Ive decided to make that leap into the skimmer world. This friday i wanna order one. Just not sure what one is best. Vote. Chime in if you know of any other BETTER HOB skimmers for my 46g tank

So the difference is that the 1000 handles up to 90g, and the 2000 handles up to 120g? It's suggested to get a skimmer 2x your tank volume, I think. So bigger is probably better in this case ;) but I think either would be fine. Can't go wrong with an octopus!

Danna, I'd go with the 1000. That is double your tank capacity and would do a great job, as well as allow you to feed more. I think the 2000 would just be overkill.

46 views and 2 votes......well thanks Wade and Wonton. Was hoping someone here might have one or very similar. Wondering if its really noisy.

No sure about noise, but read the reviews on both to see if anyone says anything about that. I chose the 1000 thinking it would be a great choice and allows you to take that extra few bucks and put toward something else on the order. I honestly believe either would work well on your system.

Dana, I was running the 1000 on my 75. I fed heavily and had 6 fish at the time and it kept the water clean and kept all my tests at zero while I had it on there. I think it'll be more than enough for your 46.

As far as the noise, I posted the vid of mine running in fresh water not long ago, you could barely hear it making any noise in the vid.

Yea, i read the reveiws. Looked at Brians vid last night but i thought u said that was a 100ss.

I was set on buying the 1000 but figured the 2000 wasnt much more price wise and figured id ask.

Guess ill just get the 1000 and a mag test kit. I really dont need anything else ATM. Thanks again guys/gals

Yea mine was the 1000ss, the only difference between mine and the 1000 is that there's an added attachment to the pump that skims the surface, it doesn't add to the noise of the skimmer at all.

Back