Skimmer questions

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I thought I'd post here as there doesn't seem to be much traffic on the skimming forum. I am gonna grab an octopus skimmer for my 40g predator tank, and I don't know which of the two to get.

The first is the bh-100f, which is complete with filter and surface skimmer for 154.99 CDN. The second is the BH-300 which seems to have two pumps, but I know little else other than it is rated for 135 gallons. Which of the two is a better skimmer? Thanks for the help!

The HB-100 would get my vote, its simple and looks like it doesn't have any of the filtration stuff which probably isn't going to do much. But it is not going to handle a 90 gallon and will probably be good for your 40. HOB skimmers in that price range are not going to be as effective or pull out as much as in-sump skimmers in the same price range. Give it a try and report back in how it does, you might also be able to mod it, guys on RC are always fiddling with stuff and usually figure out a way to improve most skimmers.

Melonbob,

I just hooked up my BH-100F from Octopus last week.

It is a GREAT skimmer. Cleaned my water the first week (already started getting purple coralline on the glass....first time since I started the tank 5 months ago).

Go with the 3-chamber version, the one with the filter area.
If you don't do anything with filtration in there, it's a good space for "stuff".
You could put a heater in there, a bag of carbon or phosban, etc.

If you have a small light, you could also make it a mini fuge with chaeto.

Good luck.....

P.S.

I knew nothing about skimmers and this was pretty easy.
The instructions STINK! If you need help, let me know.
You WILL get microbubbles and some larger bubbles in the display tank. There are ways to diminish them though.

Here is a link to a great RC thread about the skimmer.

Back