Skimmer Problems?

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
I have an Octopus DNW-200 Recirculating Protein Skimmer and it has been running on my tank for the last 3 months. It looks very much like this one here:

http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-dnw-200-br-recirculatingbr-protein-skimmer-985.htmlhttp://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=16http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=11

I have been experiencing one of two problems, depending on which problem I am trying to fix. Either, the water/foam isn't reaching high enough into the skimmer neck to collect in the cup, in which case, I have to reduce the flow of water back into my sump (seriously, it's almost closed completely) and I get a bunch of bubbles feeding back into my sump....OR...I increase the ruturn flow, which eliminates the bubbles, but then also lowers the water volume in the skimmer too much and no foam reaches the collection cup. :frustrat: In order to collect any foam at all, I have the return valve almost closed.

I am using a maxijet 1200 to feed water to the skimmer from my sump because the skimmer is too big (tall) to fit inside under my tank. I thought at first that I needed to break this thing in, like many other posts suggest. But, shouldn't it be broken in by now? I don't know how to solve both problems. How can I have enough foam reaching the cup while also eliminating the bubbles going back into my sump? Do I need a more powerful pump to feed the skimmer? Do I need more powerful air stream to make more bubbles in the skimmer?? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem with my exteme 200. I wrapped a piece of filter padding around the outlet. Took care of the problem instantly.

I am not familiar with your particular skimmer, however, to increase the water level with the out flow open more you need a larger pump or a valve on the out flow. Now the air in the sump is due to too much air in the skimmer body vs too little flow, once you have the water line in the skimmer set at the manufacturers specifications, adjust the air intake on your circulation pump to provide air just above the bottom of the skimmer. hope something here helps. If you have downsized your feed line between the pump and the skimmer, this will also cut down on the amount of flow to the skimmer. There will be a water line recommended by the skimmer manufacturer before turning on the recirculation and air. you need to get that set 1st, this is done by selecting a properly sized feed pump, and closing the output valve down a bit to adjust the water collum, once this is done, you turn on your circulation pump and adjust the air intake to the skimmer body so that the bubbles are just above the bottom outtake, this is done by closing off the air, as the air intake is closed off, the circulation within the skimmer is increased and the air decreased and it should lift up off of the bottom of the skimmer body, this will resolve the air problem into the sump, provide a foam level that is acceptable. food luck.

Back