Skimmer not turning on again

RIJohn

Reefing newb
Ok so first time I thought It was something I did wrong. Well went to reorganize wiring and add a new surge protector that was larger and could support more power. Unplugged unit cleaned collection cup installed ne surge protector. Plugged back in and absolutely nothing again......:frustrat:

Surge protector is working and so are all the plugs on the protector.

Reef Octex 160 model.

Getting ready to F........ toss this into the trash:frustrat:

Any ideas what might be going on?

Hell if you want even call me to try to walk me through something I might have missed. PM for number

When you say doesnt turn on, you mean the pump doesnt run or it doesnt make foam?

If the pump doesnt turn on, is it making any sort of noise like a humming noise?
Is the impellor stuck? Open up the pump and give it a good cleaning with some vinegar and a toothbrush.

If the pump is running but no foam is forming, make sure the air line isnt plugged up.

Also, check the cord. Maybe it has broken or something.

Just some things that I can think of right off the top of my head.

1 Hour Ago
When you say doesnt turn on, you mean the pump doesnt run or it doesnt make foam?

If the pump doesnt turn on, is it making any sort of noise like a humming noise?
Is the impellor stuck? Open up the pump and give it a good cleaning with some vinegar and a toothbrush.

If the pump is running but no foam is forming, make sure the air line isnt plugged up.

Also, check the cord. Maybe it has broken or something.

Just some things that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Ok,

Plug it in no hum.... check wires with volt meter to find no breaks in the wires.

No foam no nothing is happening.

Air line is not plugged up

Also the skimmer is only ten days old. Had similar issue when first starting the system. I have taken it a part, at least three dozen times. Sometimes I can get to hum but wont spin the impellor. There is nothing inside or around it to get it stuck.

I am at a lost...

Call the manufacturer and return it. They should replace it, free of charge. It sounds like you got a dud. That's not normal for it.

Ok I will call them in the morning for they are not open right now. My buddy came by and turned the impellor and it worked in the bucket it was in, then we put it in the sump, nothing......

When you plug it in, tap on it. I don't know what kind of skimmer and pump that is, but if the impeller shaft isn't sitting perfectly straight, it will won't spin. Tapping on it might get it started.

When you plug it in, tap on it. I don't know what kind of skimmer and pump that is, but if the impeller shaft isn't sitting perfectly straight, it will won't spin. Tapping on it might get it started.

Both my return and skimmer pumps stick about 1 out of every 10 times they are turned on. Tapping on them or just turning them on/off a few times always restarts them. But I'm worried that if I get a few second power outage and I'm gone it could shut down my circulation and freeze my fish in the process.

Do all pumps do this? I have an Octopus Extreme skimmer and a Rio for my return pump.Two different pumps both sticking.

The only pump that I have that sticks is really old (like 10 years old). I don't think it's normal for pumps to stick like that. It's good to get into the practice of cleaning them in freshwater and vinegar every few months -- that will help break up anything that's causing them to stick.

I got it running last night around 12am est. Has not stopped running, turns on and off now with no problem?

All I did was nothing.... took it apart for fifty time turned impellor in unit felt the magnent shift and plugged it in and it started right up.

You may have some calcium carbonate build up inside the pump. Take the pump apart and soak everything in full strength vinegar for a few hrs...or even overnight. That will dissolve any buildup and should fix any start up problems.

Well just and update the unit always still has start up issues. From other forums appears to be common problem with this model. Rotate impellor once and starts though.

Back