Skimmer help

Ashna

Reefing newb
i just bought a protien skimmer, its s sea clone 100. im not really sure im understanding the instructions. how do i know if it is working properly? its collecting water and has an adjuctment on the air valve but how do iknow it the valve is set prpperly?

i just bought a protien skimmer, its s sea clone 100. im not really sure im understanding the instructions. how do i know if it is working properly? its collecting water and has an adjuctment on the air valve but how do iknow it the valve is set prpperly?

The cup should be filling with foamy bubbles, not straight water. The foamy bubbles should reach the top of the neck, and just overflow into the cup, so it shouldn't be pouring.

Most skimmers take at least a week or two to break in and start producing skimmate. If nothing happens during that time, it's normal.

If you use tap water conditioners or additives like stress coat, that can prevent your skimmer from working.

Lastly, the SeaClone is a very low quality skimmer and I'm afraid you will just be frustrated and want to throw it in the trash in a few months. If you can still take it back to the store, I would return it and get a different one instead. I recommend the Reef Octopus brand.

Unfortunatly i dont have alot of selection around my area. there is only one LFS in the area so unforunatly its that skimmer or none at all :( im assuming that that one is better then nothing.

It is better than nothing. Close your air valve. Once the skimmer settles begin to open the valve to get you bubbles up the skimmer tube just to the top. Let it sit for a few minutes to see what if any adjustments need to be made. If your collection cup is filling with water you have too much air coming in and need to close the valve a bit. If your bubbles are longer at the top you have too little air and need to open the valve a bit more.

Unfortunatly i dont have alot of selection around my area. there is only one LFS in the area so unforunatly its that skimmer or none at all :( im assuming that that one is better then nothing.

You will probably end up having to buy a lot of things online then. Most of us buy equipment online because the prices are so much cheaper than buying at the LFS and there is a much better selection.

ive been looking online lol but im also prob the only person other then under aged people who dont have a creditcard lol i know sad but im thinking im very quickly goin to need one

Actually there are several people who don't have credit cards. This hobby can be expensive, but if you take it slow, it doesn't have to be.

Back