Silicone!!!

Ddredar

Reefing newb
So, Ive started working on my sump for my 55 gal tank. I picked up a small, and quite expensive for its size, tube of 100% fish tank silicone. It looks feels and smells just like the 100% silicone I can get from the hardware store. Would anyone kow if its the same stuff or is there something special about the expensive pet store stuff?

Does it say Marineland or All-Glass? Thats what youre paying for lol. I dont remember the rules for silicone, but yes, you can go to ACE or WalMart or what have you. Someone else will chime in, Im sure.

P.S. I would never pay $10.99 for the stuff at Petco. Id suggest taking it back and getting 4x the amount for 1/2 price at a hardware store.

Last edited:
The hardware will sell aquarium safe silicone, just make sure you read the label carefully!!! Any thing added to the silicone to prevent mildew will make it toxic!

We used
hcage6.jpg

Got it at Petsmart for under $7.00, have used 3-4 tubes of it..works great for gluing glass baffles in a sump.

We used
hcage6.jpg

Got it at Petsmart for under $7.00, have used 3-4 tubes of it..works great for gluing glass baffles in a sump.

Thats what I originally got.

I just picked up this for $6.00 and its got 3.5 times more in it. Now I just need to find my caulking gun :grumble:

Attachments

• IMAG0134.webp
    IMAG0134.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 318
  • IMAG0135.webp
    IMAG0135.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 357
So, I've got an update on that silicone I purchased. I am not going to use it. ALL GE type 1 and type 2 silicone have moldicide in them and ARE toxic. The silicone to use should say FDA approved. DAP and Loctite have aquarium safe silicone. I found them both at Lowes and Home Depot. They are a little bit cheaper cheaper than the stuff found at the pet stores.

Back