Shelf Life of Seawater

wsboyette

Fishy, Fishy, Fishy, Fish
I am setting up a 45 gal. FOWLR and decided to make up all the water for it a couple or three weeks ahead of time so that I can have it all ready to go before I aquascape and fill the tank. How long may pre-mixed salt water be kept before use, please ?

Best Regards,
Wade

I do have a powerhead in my mixing barrel, but will have to keep most of it in 5 gal. water containers (full with little or no air of course). It should keep for at least 3 weeks in those sealed containers, shouldn't it ?

Leave salt water anywhere and, given time, it might start growing algae and turn green. Algae spores are in the air and can ruin the water. Also keep a lid on it to prevent evaporaiton.

Leave salt water anywhere and, given time, it might start growing algae and turn green. Algae spores are in the air and can ruin the water. Also keep a lid on it to prevent evaporaiton.

Do you think that filling the (drinking water type) bottles completely and storing them in a dark place should just about prevent this? After all, the tank water is even more exposed to air so should be way more susceptible to picking up algae spores, should it not ? But I must not forget the time it spends in the mixing barrel; two pumps in there make for a very rapid turnover and exposure to air - is this significant ?

Thanks,

Wade

Do you think that filling the (drinking water type) bottles completely and storing them in a dark place should just about prevent this? After all, the tank water is even more exposed to air so should be way more susceptible to picking up algae spores, should it not ? But I must not forget the time it spends in the mixing barrel; two pumps in there make for a very rapid turnover and exposure to air - is this significant ?

Thanks,

Wade

Algae needs light to grow. But keeping mix up water in storage for many months, I think, is an experiement. Let us know.

I only plan to store it for no more than 3 weeks, hopefully less. Just until I can get enough made (by my 50 GPD RO) to fill the tank and get my LR ordered & shipped ($$ making me wait a bit).

I only plan to store it for no more than 3 weeks, hopefully less. Just until I can get enough made (by my 50 GPD RO) to fill the tank and get my LR ordered & shipped ($$ making me wait a bit).

That should be fine with good flow and low or no light.

I've read of people keeping RODI water stored in a collection barrel for 3 to 4 months. (Trash can) I have also read of people doing the same with mix. My top off RODI water is stored but I only keep about 15 gallons on hand and have only used about 6 to top off the tank over the last 2 weeks. As long as you keep it out of the light, heat and closed up, 3 weeks should be no problem.

Back