Setup Questions

MichaelR

Reefing newb
Hello there,

I have recently decided to try the world of saltwater fish and am now in the process of setting up an aquarium for them.

I have done a lot of reading this past week and plan to do much more, but I have some questions right now regarding the initial setup.

1. What is the best way to transport live rock from the fish store to your home? Does it need to be in water? I'm looking at buying around 75 lbs. of live rock, and that seems like a daunting amount to transport in water!

2. I've read that it's only a good idea to add a protein skimmer to your aquarium AFTER your aquarium has cycled. Is this true?

3. After adding uncured live rock to your aquarium, it will basically cycle the aquarium itself, over a period of approximately a month. The die-off from the rocks will be the main source of ammonia, so I will not need to add any, correct?

That's all for now, but as more questions pop into my head, I'll be sure to post them here.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

1)The LFS usually puts the rocks in styro-foam containers and wet newspapers.It will keep the rocks moist til you get home.

2)You can wait til your cycle is complete or start it up half way thru the cycle and break it in.

3)Yes

Hope that helps some
Good luck

Hi and welcome to the world of salt water.
#1 The best way to transport the rock is in a styrofoam cooler or box.Just wrap the rock in some newspaper soaked in saltwater and it should be fine.
#2 Some say not to run the skimmer during the cycle.I personally think its a great time to be running the skimmer,mainly because it needs a break in period any way.
#3 Yes,using uncured rock will start your cycle.BUT,its going to stink bad.Trust me cycling with uncured live rock is going to stink up the whole house.Done that myself about 3 months ago.
Cycling with the uncured rock may also cause your cycle to take a little longer.Mine took close to 8 weeks for the ammonia and nitrites to drop back to zero.

Hope this helps,and good luck.

If the trip home is not long and you keep the rock moist, you will be fine. Now as for the protein skimmer, you will need a protein skimmer right off if you plan to use uncured live rock for the breakin. Live rock will seed the system. good luck and keep us posted.

Back