Setup changes?

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
Ok so currently my tank is still new and cycling and I just can't stop reading and researching everything possible in anticipation of adding some fish to my tank. So far here is my set up.

20g High
JBJ Formosa DX 2x65w PC light, one blue LED moonlight
100w submersible heater
Koralia 2 powerhead
HOB Rio Nano Skimmer w/ sponge added for micro bubbles
HOB AquaClear 30 rated Powerfilter with Bio/Chem/Mechanical
10 lbs live sand
Around 32 lbs of live rock/coral branch/base rock
Basic Test kit, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Hydrometer, Thermometer

My question is what would everyone add or change if this was there system? Eventually I want to add an overflow and sump but don't quite have the funding for this yet. Everything is going to be done piece by piece. Please let me know if this seems like a good set up or if some stuff needs to be changed right away.

Sig,

Glad to hear you are doing the necessary research.
I'm sure you will realize SW keeping is a slow, methodical process.

It looks like you've got a good start on your equipment.
As you asked, if it was MY system, I would only do (2) things different :

1.) Upgrade that skimmer to a larger one. The Rio Nano is rated UP TO 20g. I think you will find it too small after time. I use an Octopus HOB skimmer and I'm very happy with it on my 30g. AquaC makes nice HOB skimmers too.

2.) I would get rid of the AquaClear 30. No need for a mechanical filter. You have liverock & livesand, this is your biological filtration.

Good luck and make sure to post some pics once you get up-and-going.
Keep your livestock to a minimum in the 20g and you will have much success.

thanks for the comments, the aquaclear is coming out for sure, The only thing besides clean up crew i was thinking about putting in was two ocellaris clowns. Will this be too much for the tank?

+1 yote and messiah. I bought a cheap skimmer, only to replace it later. Mine is a AquaC remora HOB. Made a huge difference. That tank would be awesome with 2 clowns. If those were the only fish you had, you could have a lot of fun aquascaping with corals later.
PS. Just rereading the posts. Should I take out my power filter, or leave it? It came with the tank. Is there such a thing as too much filtration? I mean, why not filter out the large particles to lessen the strain on the rest of the system, especially us guys with smaller systems?

Last edited:
thats kinda what I was thinking with the extra filter but then again, would it be a good idea to keep the HOB filter on and instead of using the carbon and sponge filter media, using it as a small HOB Fuge? Or maybe just filling it with some bio balls or something for some more biofiltration?

Don't use bioballs. They tend to lead to high nitrates.

Also, mechanical filtration isn't really necessary for saltwater. In fact, it can be detrimental. Power filters and canister filters trap the crap when the water flows through their pads. They don't REMOVE the crap, they just trap it. Then the crap rots, and gets washed back out into your tank. That's why using power filters and canister filters can lead to worse water quality than not using them at all.

Agreed Biff,

Many people start this hobby without a tremendous knowledge about Saltwater.
Read as much as you can because there are many different groups of thinking on filtration and reefkeeping.
Find the one that works best for you.

Many people use berlin-style sump systems, others use bare-bottom tanks with refugiums, and there are many, many more styles out there.

The most "current" thoughts on filtration are utilizing a DSB made of livesand and using at least 1lb / gallon of live rock.

My next tank will incorporate a refugium as I feel from my reading that this will be a huge benefit for my system on many fronts.

I think at this point many of us do agree, after trials and errors, that mechanical filtration is not the route to go.

Good Luck,

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, sig, but now I'm curious. My current setup is a 55gal, Marineland 300 power filter, AquaC remora, Turbo Twist UV (small one), 2-#1 Koralia pumps, 80lbs live rock, 40lbs live sand. So, I don't need a filter? I noticed that the sponges on my old power heads held a lot of detritus. Are you saying that the power filter does the same thing?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, sig, but now I'm curious. My current setup is a 55gal, Marineland 300 power filter, AquaC remora, Turbo Twist UV (small one), 2-#1 Koralia pumps, 80lbs live rock, 40lbs live sand. So, I don't need a filter? I noticed that the sponges on my old power heads held a lot of detritus. Are you saying that the power filter does the same thing?

power filters are not very good for salt tanks you are better off withe lots of rock and good skimmer along with weekly or bi-weekly water changes

I'm obviously still new at this too but I guess as far as detritus and things go thats what the Clean Up Crew is for and the rock would take care the rest...

Newreefinsc,

Power filters (or any mechanical style filter) is not necessary in a reef system with live rock and live sand.

You are correct as the sponges (filter pads) will trap nitrates in your system.

You could take the power filter off and I would almost guarantee you after 30 days, your nitrates would be much less.

Some people keep the mechanical filters only to run carbon or GFO once in a while.

For cleanup, get some snails / crabs (your preference, mine is snails) to clean the waste from the tank. I have about 15 nassarius snails in my 30g that continually keep the sand free of waste and my Astrea snails keep the rockwork & glass clean.

I have (1) turbo snail to take care of the minimal amounts of algae on the rockwork.

I agree with Messiah on the filter.
But you also need more flow.Those 2 Koralia 1s just wont keep the water moving very good in your tank.I'd think about adding at least a couple of the #3s or even #4s.

I've thought about more flow, but my hammer, torch, elegance, etc... are getting blown pretty good right now, and they are in the lower flow areas. I seem to have more flow in my tank than the SPS tank at my LFS. I have about 20 snails, depends on what day it is. No problem with algae. Tank actually looks remarkably good for such a young tank. I was surprised about the power filter, though. I may try running without it for a while. I would think #4s would blow the sand away.

If you've got good flow,then dont sweat it.I just like A LOT of flow:D
I ran 4 K4s in my 75.The sand did blow around some,but not bad.

I would put more flow if I didn't have so many tentacled corals, but they are spread throughout the tank, so it was a little tricky just setting the pumps I have to maximize flow without whipping the corals around.

My suggestion to you and Sig is either run them empty for added flow or remove them entirely.For alot of softies just run some carbon a couple of days once a month.Personally,I don't think running a power filter is inherently wrong,clean or replace filter media often,say weekly.You might want to remove the sponge filter from the powerheads if you are not rinsing them weekly.I said pretty much what Messiah already talked about,just adding my :twocents:.

Back