Setting up a refugium

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So this spring I plan on re-setting up my 12 gallon nano that I took down this early winter and put everything in the new 34 gallon.

Is there a way that I can have two tanks, one my current 12 gallon, and another 10 gallon as a refugium? Neither would be drilled.

I want to do it this way so that the 12 is much more stable, and I can use what I have so I don't have to spend much on equipment. Most of the cost will be corals

I'll be using my 72 watts of Nova Extreme T5 for lighting and a different light for the refugium.

Also is it worth buying the Fission Nano skimmer for the tank? I know it sucks, but will it still do a decent job? I don't wanna pay 100 bucks or so for a real good one. Buy it or not?

also I have a 150 HOB filter and a 200 HOB filter, they both have bio-wheels, run without? The 150 has more area for filter media, while the 200 has more flow obviously

I'll probably run chemi-pure, and some sort of phosphate remover

also for power heads so that I have plenty of flow. Koralia Nano or #1? Should I get one?

not sure, seen them online but not sure which vendors carry them in US so far looks like over sea vendors do, should over here soon.

You have two ways you can do the plumbing-either use PVC pipes,cement and primer or tubing,barb fittings and hose clamps.The drain is 1'' one Eshopps overflow boxes.For the 12g you really only need the 300gph version.You will need to baffle the fuge-at least two baffles made of glass or acrylic,aquarium safe silicone to glue it and a return pump.Actually a maxijet 1200 will probably work just fine for a return.Also add return plumbing and some kind of return nozzle....usually a loc-line,spray bar etc.

Back